"so, what is this project?"

"we have to find out where we come from for cultural week. can you tell me about where you came from?" misha took out her purple notebook to take notes. she clicked her pen, waiting for her father to speak.

"i grew up in selville, spain with my parents and sisters. we didn't have much money, yet i still hope to take you and miles there one day to meet my family," he beamed as the memories flooded through his head. "it's a beautiful city, i often miss it."

after writing, she looked up to her father. "why'd you leave?"

he sighed to himself, taking a deep breath. "your mother. her family moved from england to america when she was small, but after high school she wanted to travel abroad. she moved to selville for a year, and we met. it was all so crazy."

as her father talk about her mother so highly, misha smiled to herself. "she wouldn't leave me. after staying for another year, we moved to new york city, where her family was. and i've been here ever since."

misha nodded, wrapping her arms around him. "thank you for every sacrifice you've made for our family." he nodded to his daughter, grinning. "it was worth it."

she spent another hour working, getting every part of her past perfect.

misha immediately facetimed farkle when she finished. it was getting late, but farkle answered immediately. she grinned at the sight of his face, but he didn't smile back as he usually did. "farkle, is everything alright?"

he shook his head. "i mean, i don't know." the boy ran his hands through his straight hair. "come over," the girl commanded. he swallowed and nodded. "come to the window," she hung up.

after about five minutes of misha panicking later, she heard a light knocking on her window. she hopped out of her bean bag chair and opened it, happy to see farkle minkus.

"we have to be quiet; my family is asleep," misha told him. he nodded as he crawled through the small space she gave him. without speaking, misha wrapped her arms around him.

"thanks for coming over," she said with a smile. farkle nodded. they pulled apart and went to sit in bean bag chairs. misha waited for farkle to open his mouth and speak.

there was silence until he said, "i found out something." nervousness grew inside misha's stomach. she hoped it was nothing too harsh.

"my great-grandfather is from denmark. he moved to america right after world war ii. all i know is that during world war ii, he was adopted by a christian family named minkus in denmark who wanted to help him."

misha sighed, putting her hand on his back. "i think i know the answer, but, why were they helping him farkle?"

"he was jewish. they were helping him live," he croaked out. misha didn't gave words. she couldn't imagine what farkle could be feeling in that moment. he continued to vent to misha. "i feel so overdramatic. i over exaggerate my problems while ny ancestors went through hell."

she wrapped her arms around him, letting him put his head into the crook of her neck. "i hope you know that i'll always be here for you. this is tough," misha whispered into his ear.

farkle nodded slightly before reluctantly pulling away from the hug. she smiled sympathetically at the fragile boy. there was a moment of silence between the two, but they didn't break eye contact.

it felt like there were universes separating misha from farkle. she wanted to break the space between them, so she did.

misha, without thinking too much of it, leaned towards the boy. her lips pushed upon his with a gentle force. for a second, farkle was frozen in shock. once he realised what was happening, he kissed back.

it would be cheesy to say that there were sparks between them, but there was something. misha felt warmth snd love and other emotions that she couldn't describe. their lips moved together for a moment before she pulled away to take in what happened. she smiled and stroked the blue eyed boy's cheek in admiration. "did that really just happen?" she asked. farkle chuckled and nodded, "and i'm glad it did."

the kiss changed things between farkle and misha. they felt closer than ever before, and not just as friends. misha knew there was something between them that she'd never expected before.

they talked for another hour before misha got tired and told farkle to leave. neither of them wanted to part, but it was late and they had to present in class the next morning. much to his dismay, he crawled out of the window. farkle stood outside the window, looking in at misha. she looked tired, yet happy.

her brown eyes glistened in the dim light given off by the princess nightlight plugged in beside her. farkle knew she was beautiful, but in this moment her beauty was far more evident.

he waved to her, not wanting to look away and miss out on the pulchritude of her lips and hair. she waved back with a grin before tucking herself in.

things were definitely different.