eight

misha sat pleasantly in her seat. she was the first one in mr. matthews' classroom. she enjoyed the silence, until riley walked in.

she laid herself over misha's desk dramatically. "what's up buttercup?" misha twirled the girl's long brunette hair in her fingertips.

"love is only until monday!" she exclaimed. riley fake cried. misha turned to maya. "did you seriously let her into the bathroom?" maya shrugged.

soon, the students piled into the class. mr. matthews began his lesson about roanoke colony. "when he came back, there was no trace of the colony. what happened to them?" mr. matthews finished his lecture.

"that's your job to find out," he answered. "you will each be assigned a partner and you will both have to come up with a reasonable thesis to what happened to the roanoke colony. you're response will need evidence and cannot contradict any evidence i have explained."

riley frowned. "can i work with maya?" cory shook his head. "bu-"

"riley, you will be working with yogi!" he interrupted. "woah, i have never worked with anyone besides riles before!" maya protested. "you were lucas's lab partner last year," misha said.

"well i didn't work!" she folded her arms. riley just smiled. "it'll all be fine, peaches! i think it'll be great for us to expand our horizons!" she stumbled over to yogi's seat.

"maya work with smackle, misha with lucas, and farkle with zay." misha turned to lucas, who waved her over to his seat.

"can you believe he split up riley and maya?" was the first thing that came out of his mouth. "yeah. it's good for them. so about the project, do you want to work on it at my house?"

he nodded. the bell rang quickly and misha made her way out. she was at her locker when a large hand grabbed her forearm, pulling it back.

"woah there tiger don't get so touchy," she spun on her heels. misha looked up and saw lucas. he chuckled under his breath. "i wanted to ask you something. be honest with me."

she nodded.

"what's up with maya? she's been acting really weird towards me and i don't know why." misha's heartbeat quickened. she knew maya would kill her if she told, but farkle would tell hik any day now too.

"i can't say," she said honestly. "oh come on, misha. i just want to know."

misha started to get her stuff out of her locker. she slammed it shut, walking out of the school. lucas was following her. "misha, we're going to your place, remember?"

she sighed and stopped at the bottom of the steps. "alright, i'll tell you." misha couldn't believe those words were coming out of her mouth.

"maya, uhm. maya likes you!" she gasped, covering her mouth. "i wasn't supposed to tell."

lucas's chin dropped. "let's just work on the project tomorrow." he started to walk away.

"lucas! wait!" she rain to catch up to him, but lucas just started to pick up his pace. he eventually stopped, misha out of breath. "how do you feel about her?"

lucas shrugged, turning away. "really, i know you like riley, but you can't break maya's heart." misha said, watching him slip away.

she made her way back home slowly. misha sat on her bed and stared at the ceiling until dinner. she regretted telling lucas.

her phone rang in her pocket, so misha answered. it was farkle calling. "don't be mad," he said immediately. "what happened?" misha asked sternly.

"i told lucas about maya. and he told her."

misha gasped. she told farkle about what happened earlier so he wouldn't feel any guilt whatsoever. he sighed in relief. "but he told her? maya is going to kill me!" misha exclaimed.