"There's so many other clubs at school that you could join. Like the Environmental Club if you're interest in the... um, the environment?" she sounded so unsure. "There's also the math club, but that'll be the same problem as the chess club. There's the woodworking club, art club, film club, volleyball team—you're good at volleyball—the peer support club, the formal committee," she continued listing all different clubs.

I had no idea we had so many at school.

By the time she was done, I felt like it all went through one ear and out the other. But only one called out to me.

"What's the peer support club?"

It sounded oddly familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"They're like mentors. They help their peers in random stuff, like tutoring and helping people out with friends. They're pretty much the teacher's pawns to help some students."

Then it dawned on me how I knew them. I looked at Mia, my eyes narrowed. Mia glanced at me briefly before her eyes widened and she straightened her head to the front.

"A few of them approached me last year, didn't they?" I asked sceptically.

Mia began laughing uncomfortably. "I may, or may not have, made a request," she said softly. Why wasn't I surprised? "But," she added quickly, "they weren't doing a good job, so I told them to go away."

Like that was supposed to make me feel better.

I wasn't surprised though. Mia has been trying to convince me to make new friends for a while, saying something along the lines of how it was sad that my only friend at school was my cousin. Although Mia told me countless of times that she loved me and she loved being my friend, she said it was lame that she was my only friend. But Mia wasn't always my only friend, and I don't know if Mia knew this.

"But if you joined the peer support club, it'll be a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. I hear the club is very friendly."

"Is this your way of getting rid of me?"

"Yes," she answered boldly. I knew she was joking. I think.

"Well, the club does sound interesting." Tutoring sounded easy enough. I never done it before, but the experience would be beneficial. It'd help with my social skills too. But would they even want me?

"Awesome! We can go to Mr Halliday's office when we get to school if you want to apply?" Mia suggested eagerly.

By the time we reached school, we both headed to the guidance counsellor's office and stopped at the door. I looked at Mia who held an uncomfortable expression. There was something about Mr Halliday that neither of us could stand. Mia claimed it was his irrelevant excitement for everything. I didn't mind the enthusiasm, but I'd always try to figure out why he was so happy until I gave up and realised it was pointless trying to read people when I was so obviously bad at it.

"Are you ready?" I asked.

"Uh, what? I'm not going in. You're doing this on your own, bestie," she said. She patted me on the back twice as if it were to say good luck and then walked away.

I tried grabbing her arm but missed. "Wait, no. You have to stay," I begged.

"Yeah, no. It's your bucket list so you face it alone." She stuck her tongue out and ran off before I could try grabbing her again. "See you in class," she called out before she turned the corner.

Traitor.

I took a couple of deep breaths before knocking on Mr Halliday's door. I heard his voice mumbled through the door, inviting me to come in. I entered. Mr Halliday sat at this desk, squinting at his computer screen while his glasses sat on top of his head. He then moved his attention towards me as I took a step inside, leaving the door open behind me.