24

The one class Skylar had with both Nate and Ethan was a bit awkward. Ethan sat in the back as usual as Skylar sat in the middle. When Nate walked in with a black eye, he looked angry as he glared at Ethan and Skylar.

When he sat down, Skylar looked back at Ethan who was clenching his jaw and playing with his pen.

The bell rang, students took the history test, and Skylar watched Ethan be one of the first to leave the classroom with his toned arms holding books at his side.

Even though the two are getting close, Ethan is not one to be social during the day so he still doesn't talk to Skylar at school. But, he never did with anyone else either including his "friend" group which he's not even with in the hallways anymore. He's just walking alone to classes.

School ended, and Skylar rode with Anthony to their poetry night at the café downtown.

"You have a lot to update me on." Anthony smirked.

"Oh god. Are you seriously writing that story of Ethan and I?"

"Yes! You guys are my otp."

She rolled her eyes and laughed.

"Have you had your first kiss with him yet?"

"No. I don't think I ever will."

"Why?"

"He's so distant. It's like he's afraid to love."

"Hey... Broken hearts don't love any less." Anthony stated.

Skylar just had those words repeating in her head, writing the quote down in her journal.

-

As time passed of Anthony and Skylar doing homework, it was time for the poetry night to start. Lights turned off, and the only one on was the stage light and some in the kitchen. The introduction was given, and the two friends sat in the crowd of coffee drinkers.

As poets would recite on stage, the autumn sun set allowing the night time to grow.

Ethan silently walked through the entrance in the dark café to not bring any attention. He was already facing everyone's backs in chairs, so he stayed in the back wall.

Skylar is always one of the last to present. When she felt it was her turn, she stood up with her brown leather journal to walk up to the stage.

She sat on the stool behind the microphone and said to the crowd with a shy smile, "This one's shorter than usual." Although, she could only see darkness ahead of her. No faces were made clear in the dark crowd due to the stage light on her. That's what made her feel comfortable about talking in front of the coffee shop. She felt alone - like the place was to herself.

Skylar tucked a piece of hair behind her ear as she cleared her throat, and flipped to this Wednesday's poetry: October 12, 2016

2:37 A.M.

He walks on the empty street
Slowly swaying on his feet.
The city lights guide the way
As night swallows what's left of day.
Not a single thing on his mind
Himself is the only thing left to find.
He hums the only song he knows
Following isolated paved roads.
Life can sweep you off your feet
And lead you to lost love's street.

She looked up, tucking her hair once more, saying, "Thank you." And there came the quiet claps.

Ethan left the café with a subtle smile on his face.