12

Ethan drove her home again. On the way, she looked at his hands as he controlled the steering wheel. He had the usual scratches, scars, and bruised knuckles.

As they rested on her bed, he didn't ask about what Nate said to her.

"Ethan?"

He looked at her.

She finally worked up the courage to ask this reserved boy who seemed to be containing many secrets. "Why are your hands so..."

"Messed up?" He continued for her. "Many reasons."

"What are they?" She hesitated at first, feeling like she was pushing it.

He looked down at his hands and sighed an exhausted breath. "One reason is cold nights."

Makes sense, he's out at night a lot so.. blisters.

Another is," He swayed his head to the left like it got heavy, "anger issues." He finished under his breath like he was ashamed. I had a phase where I'd punch everything all the time when my Dad would..."

"Would what?"

He looked up at her.

She shook her head. "S-sorry. I'm getting too nosy."

"Would cheat on my mom."

Her heart was heavy due to this shock.

"Yeah, no one else knows that except us five in the family... And, now, you."

She continued to look at his disheartened eyes staring at the road.

He looked back up at her, getting out of his daze, sitting up straight. "But, yeah. The whole punching everything has dialed down."

She gave a little smile at him.

-

The next day at school, Skylar realized why Ethan never talks to her at school yet he only does when they're alone together. They got out of biology class, a period she has with him, so she went up to his locker asking, "Ethan, what'd you get on the quiz?"

"A grade."

"Shady."

He continued to grab his books, not making eye contact with her once.

"Um, I'll just see you later." She awkwardly said. He closed the locker door and walked away, leaving her there.

It wasn't until school was out, when they talked to each other again. He was leaning against his black car, waiting for her. She walked up to the vehicle. When he saw her in sight, he got in the car and she did too. He didn't say hi. The usual.