“Yes sir!”

Conan sighed in exasperation. It’s about time you police officers figured that out.

Another hour later, the suspects had been narrowed down to three individuals, all who now stood before Megure.

“Now, I’ll ask each one of you again. What are your names, age, your profession, and what were you doing in between six to six thirty?”

“My name is Chizuru Minamoto, twenty-nine years old,” a young woman said. “I’m a waitress here at the hotel, and I was in the kitchens picking up an order at six twenty.”

“Is there anyone who can verify your alibi?” Megure asked.

“Yes, all of the kitchen staff, and the customers whom I brought the order to.”

“Very well. Next!”

The man stepped forward. “Gunjo Otoribashi, forty-three years old. I work as a custodian here in the hotel. At around six, I was in the supply closet getting a mop.”

“Is there anyone who can verify your alibi?”

“No, I was alone.”

“Okay. Next!”

The third suspect, an older man, cleared his throat. “I am Furuta Masaoka, age fifty-seven. I am the head steward of the hotel. I was downstairs in the basement fetching a bottle of champagne from six to six thirty.”

“It takes that long to get a bottle of champagne?”

“Master Aogi was very specific about which kinds of champagne he preferred, and the cellar was rather dark.”

“I see,” Megure murmured. “Well, thank you all for your cooperation. Sato, would you please show them to another room? And have an officer inspect their clothing.”

“Yes, sir.”

Sato lead the three employees out the door and down the hall, into a room far away enough from the crime scene and interrogation room so that they wouldn’t be able to eavesdrop on the investigation.

Kogoro leaned in towards the Inspector. “Inspector Megure, if you ask me, that custodian is the most suspicious. He must’ve known that there would be no way to prove that he didn’t go to the supply closet, and thus used that excuse as his alibi for the murder.”

“Now, now, Mouri-kun, let’s not jump to conclusions just yet. We still have to see which one of them has blood on his or her clothing. That’ll be the deciding piece of evidence.”

Conan’s eyes narrowed as he listened in on the two adults. No, the culprit was bound to have noticed the blood smear on his or her clothing, and would’ve found a way to erase the evidence before the police could inspect it. Even if we do a luminol test, there won’t be any reaction to traces of blood if they’ve managed to change their clothing. So how can we prove which one is the culprit?

As he pondered the situation, an officer dashed into the room. “Inspector Megure, sir!”

“Yes, what is it?”