Chapter One:

"Wow! Look, Conan-kun, look!" Mouri Ran said excitedly, her hands gripping the seven year-old's shoulders tightly as she bounced up and down on her heels in excitement.

"Look at what?" Edogawa Conan asked, glancing up at the teenager, her eyes glowing in delight.

"Huh? What do you mean, look at what? Look there!" Ran turned him to face the street, where expensive cars were pulling up one by one, their passengers stepping out of the vehicle and onto the red carpet that stretched from the curb to the hotel entrance. He recognized quite a few of the celebrities, all dressed in their finest.

"Oh, wow!" Ran gasped. "It's Two-Mix!" Sure enough, a young couple stepped out of a white limousine that had just pulled up in front of the carpet, and waved to the screaming fans and flashing cameras.

"And there's the famous popstar Kuraki Mai!" Suzuki Sonoko, seventeen year-old Ran's best friend and classmate, added as a sleek red sportscar took the place of the white limo, a pretty young woman climbing out.

This continued on for quite some time, cars depositing idols, talk show hosts, actors and actresses, singers and popstars, and famous athletes at the door, several of them foreign. Conan struggled to mask his yawn of boredom. This kind of thing just didn't really appeal to him, and he wouldn't have even agreed to come if his father wasn't going to be at the hotel's opening ceremony.

His father, Kudo Yusaku, was a famous mystery writer and author of the popular and well loved Night Baron mystery series. His mother, Yukiko, was a former actress.

And Conan? In truth, Edogawa Conan wasn't his real name. He was really Kudo Shinichi, a seventeen year-old high school detective who specialized in solving cases that had baffled even the Tokyo police investigators. However, he had been caught in the middle of an illegal money exchange and was given a drug by a mysterious organization, the Black Organization. The drug, instead of killing him like it was supposed to, caused his body to shrink, until he turned into his seven year-old self with a seventeen year-old's mind.

Ran was his childhood friend and his crush, until he was shrunken. Since then, he took on a new identity as Edogawa Conan and began living with her and her father Mouri Kogoro, a famous private detective who, when not working on a case, was constantly drunk and gambling on horse races. Sonoko was the daughter of the CEO of Suzuki Corporation, and the heiress of the millionaire company. Pampered and ridiculously wealthy, she could buy anything she wanted. In fact, it was Sonoko who had gotten them the invitations to this opening ceremony of a five star hotel and restaurant.

Conan sighed, sneaking another glance at Ran, Sonoko, and Kogoro. None of them knew his secret: that he was really Shinichi. Because the organization believed him to be dead, they would without a doubt hunt him down and kill him if they ever found out he was alive. They were also guaranteed to kill anyone who knew Edogawa Conan, meaning Ran, Sonoko, Kogoro, and everyone else who had any sort of relation to him.

Kogoro's loud whoop of glee snapped Conan out of his thoughts. "Oi, look, it's Okino Yoko-chan!" He danced around in his dress shoes, peering around the photographers to catch a glimpse of the pretty young starlet. "Oi, Yoko-chan! Yoko-chan!"

Yoko caught sight of him and gave him a cheerful smile and wave, before walking down the red carpet and through the hotel entrance. Kogoro began chuckling in a daze, his face red. "Yoko-chan smiled at me. Yoko-chan waved at me."

Conan rolled his eyes. Geez, get a grip on yourself, Ojiisan.

Ran was also bothered by her father's display. "Dad! Knock it off! What about Mom?"

The mention of his divorced wife immediately transformed his grin into a scowl. "Eri? She's not here right now anyway, so who cares?"

"I care." A woman's voice said from behind them.