Chapter 22

Jess and Prince were both silent on the ride back to the club. Once they finally got there though, they were both freezing and hurried inside as fast as they could to warm up. It's always cold in Prince's room since not much heat gets down under the stage, but at least it's better than the freezing Minnesota winter outside.

Jess slipped out of her shredded dress and put on a t-shirt and soft pajama pants before curling up in Prince's bed with his trench coat still draped over her body. Prince changed into a warm, oversized sweater before joining Jess in bed. Jess had her back to Prince and her head was buried in her pillow like she didn't want to talk to him. Prince knew she was avoiding conversation. "Jess, look at me," Prince demanded gently.

Jess slowly rolled over to face Prince, her eyes cautiously meeting his. She knew he was gonna bring up what just happened back at Morris's, and she really didn't want to talk about it.

"So, Jess, I just want to make this clear... every time you told me you were going to work at your 'new job,' you were really with Morris? Every single time?"

Jess looked away from Prince and said in an ashamed voice, "Yes... there was no new job at a new bar... Prince, I'm really, really sorry I lied to you. I..."

"Stop," Prince cut her off. "There's no need to apologize to me, Jezebel. I don't care you lied to me, I don't care about anything other than you. Just... why on earth would you subject yourself to that... to that demeaning abuse?"

"Because I didn't want Morris to kick you out on the street. And I know you, Prince... I knew you'd be too stubborn to move in with me. I know how much this place means to you... and... it was the only way... I couldn't let Morris take the club away from you, not after all the stress and chaos you've been going through lately."

"But... you've been abused and taken advantage of before... so I can't fathom why you'd willingly let yourself be used... especially by Morris of all people, every single night! Have you no respect for your body? How could you stand to be taken advantage of over and over again, and then act like everything's fine?"

"Prince... it was the only way. Believe me, I begged and begged that sick bastard. I offered him all my money, I told him I'd work for him for no pay... but he demanded sex. It was the only way. Yes, it was awful, shameful, demeaning, painful, and horrifying. But I couldn't let you be hurt anymore, Prince... it was for your your wellbeing." Tears threatened to flow from Jess's eyes.

"But what about your wellbeing, Jess? Why put yourself through hell just for me when you could have easily said no and saved yourself all that pain and trauma? I would've been okay on the streets... I've lived out there before."

"Dammit, Prince! Because I love you, that's why! I didn't care how much I hurt, I didn't care how used or shameful I felt... I couldn't bare to see you in any more pain or misery. As long as I was saving you pain, then all my pain was worth it. Sometimes we hurt for the people we love the most. Sometimes we sacrifice things for the people we love the most. And if sacrificing my dignity was saving you from your depression, then fuck it, I'd give away all my dignity just so you could smile again."

Prince cupped Jess's face in his hands. "Jess, seeing you hurt yourself for me won't save me any pain. I hurt when you hurt. It kills me to think of what you went through... and I really don't think I'm worth all that awful shit you put yourself through. Jezebel, I love you more than anyone on this planet. I don't care if I have to live in a cardboard box out in the snow, just as long as I know you're safe and happy and healthy, I'll be happy." Prince softly pressed his warm lips against Jess's and lovingly kissed her.

When their lips parted, Jess said in a serious voice, "Prince, I don't care how much your stupid pride tries to get in the way, you're moving in with me and that's final. You can argue with me all you want, but it's time you learn to put down your stubbornness and accept help when you need it. I don't care you don't have a job, I don't care you can't pay rent... I'm not letting you live out on the streets again."