Chapter 28 - Ladies Can Fight Too

Start from the beginning

They were greeted by silence. Claire did not care about the questioning eyes that followed them. She led the charge, racing down the main aisle towards the head table where Bedelth, Jovari, Koldis, and Verath sat. The four of them rose at once; it was obvious that something was wrong.

Whispers echoed through the hall as Claire took the dais steps two at a time, hoisting her skirts to her knees. She stopped at the table, clutching her side. "The...the Dragon Stones..." she gasped, trying to keep her voice low to avoid mass panic. "The Vodar...you must...they are coming...Saffra's vision." She could hardly speak, and certainly not coherently. She stepped aside, hoping that Saffra might do better.

After several rushed exchanges between Saffra and the Shields, the peril was finally understood. The Shields failed to hide their agitation as they rushed around the head table and fled the hall. Verath had the good sense to summon to his side several higher-ranking individuals under King Talon's command, Commander Daxton included. And then they were all gone. The room erupted into louder whispers as everyone gazed at the three women standing before them.

While this was happening, Claire caught sight of a small carving knife. She covertly took it from the table and shoved it up her sleeve. Then she turned to the others. "We're going after them. I'll be damned if I stand around and wait to see what happens."

"We are hardly fit to fight demons," Desaree cried, afraid of the suggestion.

"No, Claire is right," Saffra said. "We must go. I can...I can hardly bear it. Daxton..." With that, Saffra raced away from them. Claire and Desaree followed, hot on her heels.

As they left the hall, Claire turned to the guards. "Which way did the Shields go?"

"That way, my lady. The king's tower." They both pointed.

"Good. Seal up the dining hall. Do not let the patrons leave until instructed otherwise. And one of you round up more guards! Spread the word: There is danger lurking in the keep tonight!"

Without wasting another moment, Claire raced away. Desaree and Saffra kept pace beside her. They reached the southern wing, preparing to take the first set of stairs. Saffra stopped them. "My bow!" she cried, then added, "How else will we protect ourselves?"

After a few complaints, the three of them diverted to Saffra's quarters where they met Jocelyn. Jocelyn was frightened when she learned of the danger; she insisted on accompanying them. "You are my charge to care for," she argued, looking fiercely upon Saffra. "I would not dare abandon my duties."

"Please, Jocelyn." Saffra's voice was quiet. "I admire your honor, and I understand duty. But this is too dangerous. I couldn't bear it if something—"

"You think to dissuade me? I'll not have it." Jocelyn squared her shoulders; she stood taller than all of them. "With all due respect, Lady Saffra, you need me. For example, I have already seen a problem you have not, for which I have a remedy."

Claire, Desaree, and Saffra exchanged looks of confusion.

"Your skirts!" Jocelyn added when they failed to comprehend her. "You have not bothered to hike up your skirts. How can you fight when you're tripping over them?! Here—" She sprinted across Saffra's chamber to a wardrobe, rustled around, then returned with a handful of leather straps. Desaree and Saffra took theirs without complaint.

"What is—?" Claire didn't know what to make of hers.

"It's a skirt chaser, my lady. One for each of you. Now hurry!"

"Skirt chaser...?" Claire's eyebrows drew together.

"A skirt chaser is a skirt hike, Lady Claire." Jocelyn moved over and began demonstrating on Saffra. The accessory consisted of a belt with an accompanying strap. The belt fastened around the waist, and the strap was used to draw up a skirt and fasten it. At the end of the strap was a metal loop with a large pin. One could pull the fabric through the loop and hold it in place with the pin. When Jocelyn was finished, she turned to Claire and said, "You'll be hard-pressed to do much without one."