Chapter 30

I know a spell to dull an enemy's blade and turn his arrows to ash in the air,

I know a spell to sunder fetters and one to join the edges of a wound,

None can tell me a spell to undo the harm done by a lie.

—From Lessons from a Red Adept, found in imperial library at Samis.

*

*

TRUTH & ILLUSION

*

Harric stared at Fink. "This isn't funny, Fink. And the issue isn't what might happen to me—for her sake, I can't go near her any more."

A decision was forming in Harric. A resolution he'd felt a long time coming.

Fink shuffled his feet. "You can't keep away from her, kid. It's a compulsion, not a suggestion."

"I don't care what it is. It doesn't compel me, and if it's forcing her and she can't resist it, then I can't be near her. Simple. I have to leave."

"Leave?" The word came out of Fink like a squeak. His white eyes bugged like Harric had jabbed him in his ample gut, and he started wringing his taloned hands. "Kid. She'll chase you. Doubled with an Opening, I doubt she can resist it, and if you resist her advances it could go really bad."

"You think I should just let it happen for her own good? What the Black Moon are you talking about? If I go along with this horse shit, you don't think that would go bad? She'd hate herself and me as well!" He stared into Fink's inscrutable face with a growing sense of disbelief. "And don't tell me you forgot that if she chases me I can hide in the cobbing Unseen."

"Calm down, kid. She's going to hear you."

In fact, Caris had stopped her training and peered through the darkness in their direction.

Seething, Harric hopped down behind the nurse log, where they'd be less likely to be overheard, and tugged Fink after him. The imp landed before him, blinking in surprise.

Barely able to keep his voice a whisper, Harric leaned into Fink. "Are you so worried you might lose your place at the Sir Willard banquet of souls that you'd advise me to stay, even if it endangers her? Even if it endangers me? Well, cob your cobbing snacks, Fink. It'd be better we both starve. I'm serious about this."

Fink spread his hands in a gesture of surrender. "Kid, calm down." The black tongue flicked nervously over his teeth. "Are you telling me you've decided to leave her? Leave the others?" His bald black head shook as if anticipating a denial.

Harric frowned. He hadn't wanted to admit it to himself, but since the incident in the stable when Caris nearly amputated her finger to prevent the ring from compromising her integrity, and since that same day when Willard nearly murdered him, his heart had been steadily—if secretly—turning toward departure. Now that he had confirmation the ring had even worse in store for Caris, it seemed the clearest possible decision. "Yeah," he said, running his hand through his hair. "I guess I am. It's time to leave. Just like you predicted."

Fink let out what seemed a very forced laugh. He gestured with his hands as if trying to physically calm him. "Look, kid. Naturally, you're emotional about this. And, just as naturally, we'll do whatever you want about it. But I'm thinking of what's in your best interest here. This 'knight's man' act with Sir Ragleaf puts you in the best possible position to help your queen, which is your primary concern, right? Sir Blue Balls is right in the center of Her Majesty's concerns with the Kwendi ambassador." The black tongue licked at the corners of his mouth. "That means if you stay with him, you'll be one of the first outsiders to see the Kwendi lands."