Chapter 4

Ranger

Stroking Kiko to orgasm had been a mistake.

I didn't relish running to Vishnu's with a hard on.

But I couldn't help it. When Kiko had stripped down to nothing, I couldn't stop myself from touching that gorgeous body, strong and slim, with that perfect skin.

She'd still been wet and hot, despite the cool off period we'd had inside.

My own erection gave an angry pulse.

OK. Maybe thinking about that wasn't the best idea at the moment.

We reached the area around Vishnu's place and I crouched down, Kiko taking my lead.

The lights were on inside, so he was definitely home.

But the curtains were drawn too.

Frustrating, but not surprising.

I pushed Kiko's head down gently to let her know to stay in position.

Breaking cover, I circled the cabin, nose and ears alert.

I couldn't break in, not while he was there, but maybe...

There.

I stopped under one of the windows and changed.

All the curtains were drawn, yes, but it was surprising how many people were careless enough to leave gaps between the panels when they had something to hide.

I raised my head slowly to look through the inch wide gap he'd left on one side.

The window looked directly into his living area. The light was on,but the room was empty.

I watched for a while, thinking that I might not have lucked out after all, when he walked into the room in pajama bottoms and nothing else.

I frowned as I noticed a couple of angry scars on his back that I didn't remember being there. They weren't that old either. We healed fast and these were still that angry red that meant they were relatively fresh.

He sat down on the couch, setting something down on the coffee table. It looked like a dark glasses case.

I kept watching as he opened it and took something out.

It was slim and small...

I squinted, wishing being a wolf also gave me eagle eye vision.

I didn't have to squint anymore after I saw what he did with it.

He ducked his head to watch as he pushed the tip of what I was now sure was a syringe into the vein at the crook of his elbow.

I forced myself to keep watching even as my stomach turned.

He pushed down the plunger.

His head kicked back and he took a deep breath.

I swallowed as he took the needle out and set it back in the case on the table.

Up until this point, the idea of Vishnu being a drug addict had been a suspicion and I'd been able to deal with the hypothesis of it.

But being confronted with the actual reality of it made me feel sick and angry. I wanted to break in there and demand why he was hurting himself and why he hadn't come to us for help.

And I couldn't do that. If he'd betrayed the pack, I owed it to everyone else I was beholden to to catch him.

I stayed at the window, watching as he laid down on the couch.