Chapter One

Amaria Williams

"See you Monday, Ms. Amaria," one of the male doctors down the hall yelled to me with a stupid, cocky smirk on his face as I clocked out.

I mentally rolled my eyes. I swear I did not like him. He flirts with me all the time. I literally turn him down everyday but that does not stop him from trying.

I slung my lunch bag on my arm and exited the hospital building. The employee parking lot was on the next block, so I had a long ways to walk. I ain't gone lie and say I wasn't a lil frightened, because I was. It was one in the morning, so it was extremely dark.

I couldn't understand why the hospital gave us employees a parking lot that's not by the hospital anyway. Fucking dummies. I guess they don't understand that it ain't safe around here for anyone to be walking out here, especially us females and nurses who get off around this time.

I quickly walked into the garage and approached my car. As I got close, I noticed a figure walking away from my car. I couldn't tell if they were male or female due to the black hoodie they was wearing that blocked their face.  I don't know what the fuck was going on or why this person was walking away from my car, but it was suspect as hell.

I froze in my spot, just waiting, shook as hell. I don't think the person saw me, but as soon as they disappeared... I quickly unlocked my car, got in, and locked it right back. They wasn't about to get me. I'm not like them crazy white bitches in scary movies who go and investigate shit. I'ma care my ass right on home.

I shook off the nervous feeling, and quickly drove off. On my way home, I decided to stop at Popeyes and get me a five dollar box. It was late as hell, plus I was tired, so I wasn't going home to cook.

I finally made it home around two in the morning. I was exhausted. That damn hospital with them disrespectful ass patients be wearing me out.

After I ate my food, I went ahead and showered then got into bed to sleep this uneventful day away.

                             *

"Mariiiii," I heard someone say. I felt my body being touched and I instantly opened my eyes and jumped back. I was relieved to see it was my big brother, Micah, standing over me.

"Damn, sis, it's only me" he said.

"Sorry 'bout that. I had a really bad nightmare and you scared the shit outta me." I informed him. "What is your ass doing at my house at nine in the morning anyway? Remind me to take my damn key away from you." I said and he chuckled.

"I really need for you to watch Miya for me. I have some shit I need to do and uhhh I don't have anyone to watch her." He said scratching the back of his neck.

"Aww where's my baby at anyways? You know I'm always down to watch her."

Miya was Micah's four year old daughter. Miya's mother, Nova, walked out the door on them, and never came back.

"Babe, Ima run to the store real quick to pick up some diapers for Miya. I'll be back in an hour." Nova said to my brother as she was on her way out the door.

I sat on the couch holding Miya, just watching the two interact.

"Alright, ma," Micah said kissing her, "Ima be waiting for you when you get back. Now gone." he said patting her butt as she walked out the door.