'What is going on? What haven't you told me?' I whispered, my voice painful at the bile that had flooded my throat only minutes earlier.

'You don't need to know. Not yet.' He sounded unsure of himself but I knew that he wouldn't give up without a fight.

'Tell me.'  I demanded in my weak state, making little to no impression on him.

'I said no, Elena.' He whispered, matching my tone.

'I said, tell me.' He sighed and watched the light shine on his hands from the chandelier above and I could something similar to a prayer fall from his mouth. The prospect that he believed in a god scared me in its own right. No one that cruel could believe in a being like that, no matter how old.

'It is mating season, Elena.' Elijah spoke up, tucking a hand into his pocket, his face neutral. I said nothing, it had cleared up a few things- although, not many. I looked over to Niklaus who eyes were fearful too. He didn't want to do this and whatever it was, I was reluctant too. I knew little to nothing about a werewolf's mating season. I knew the term meant a lot of things to different people and this mix of knowledge left me with a pool of information when I only needed a droplet.

Klaus' eyes met mine and I understood what was supposed to happen...and everything came crashing down. I shook my head frantically and he looked understanding but seemingly disappointed- his facial expressions were too hard to read. 'Elena, we have no choice. This fever could leave you severely ill or worse.' He looked scared. This was the first time I had ever seen him scared. Yes, I was his apparent mate but I didn't think such a small detail in his life could switch his personality over. Unless it didn't. Unless the rest of his life was a facade. And, once again, it made sense. No one in their right mind was that cruel out of their nature; he had trained himself to be like that, to protect himself from others.

'There is really no choice.' I sighed, my voice breaking before I could even get the last few words out. It was painful to admit but it was true, we really had no other choice. Klaus' eyes flew back to me from the spot on the wall he had begun to admire. He looked a mixture of shocked and elated. It really seemed that his walls had come down and as I looked over to Elijah, I could see the small shift in his face that resembled a mild shock. He had seen his brother like this before but not for a long time.

As I looked back at Klaus, his face was beginning to send fear to my stomach. I loved seeing his walls falling but the weakness Klaus was showing sent a shiver down my spine. I was afraid for him. He hadn't gradually opened up to me, he had been forced to show his emotions because of a, what was supposed to be insignificant, bond that shouldn't be there. I felt as if I was forcing him into too much and there was much in his eyes that said he believed the same about me himself.

I looked into his eyes, digging for answers that weren't there. 'Are we sure there is no other way but the obvious path.' I whispered, looking between the brothers. Both pondered for seconds and I wanted to give up as a heavy silence fell.

'If the answer is no then at least say it.' I spat, my hands trembling at my sides. Waiting was never a strong suit of mine and for something that could define me for the rest of my life, I would rather find a way out of it.

'I think I have something but I feel like it is no better than the alternative.' I gestured for him to go on, it was better to hear it than deny it with no grounding. 'Wolves have hibernation periods. like many other animals, wolves can sleep for extensive periods of time and I believe you can do the same. I believe it is three months and by then the yearly mating season would have passed. But, you would be missing three months of your life, Elena. Even if you're immortal, is it worth it to avoid something that doesn't even need to be significant.' The idea seemed all too appealing despite Elijah's thoughts against it. I did not care that I would sleep. As he had said, I was immortal. Three months, soon enough, could feel as little as a day.