2.0

Elena-

I woke up the next morning, feeling worse than before. The headache, that had once been dull, was now raging like a bullet had been fired at my skull. Klaus was nowhere in sight and despite the mind numbing headache, I could tell that I needed to be close to him again.

I pushed myself off the couch and stumbled hopelessly until I found the kitchen. The pain had caused my eyes to water and my vision to blur so when I fell into someone's arms, I was a little more than confused.

It couldn't have been Klaus. That much was clear by the headache alone. The only other Mikaelson-. My thoughts stopped and I realised whose arms I had just fallen into: Elijah. It just had to be Elijah.

I groaned and found my way out of his arms, trying to escape before I was trapped in a conversation I didn't want to have. I should have known then, though, that Elijah was now just about to let me go.

I had gotten a metre away when I felt his grip on my arm and I was spun, with no sense of direction, to face him. He inspected my face, wondering as to why I was moderately crying in his home whilst stumbling around like a freak.

'You scared me, Elena. My brother too. We weren't expecting you to come here, especially with Klaus' current condition.' Elijah was calm, no different than usual, but I could see his eyes widened as his interest peaked.

He let go of my arm but it was clear that he hadn't the time or the patience to let me off without an injury if I tried to leave. 'Condition?' I asked, unable to muster the energy to even pretend to be naive. It was more of a statement than anything else. I had little energy left and I just wanted to leave and find the damned man that would fix this for me.

Elijah was not a fool, he could see that I was in the same state as Klaus. Perhaps Klaus was better at hiding the pain but it would be no less for him. 'It doesn't matter.' He stated, striding away, leaving me at a blank as to what was happening to me.

'Wait, Elijah!' I called out, stopping him in his tracks. He turned to me putting a single hand in his pocket, remaining in a stance that showed he wouldn't be moving unless I told him to.

He raised an eyebrow questioningly but did not say a word. I stumbled forward and found myself only inches from Elijah. I looked up, looking desperate. 'I need as much information as I can about this condition. I'm not trying to find his weakness, I will not tell a soul. You have my word.' Elijah knew in that moment I was serious.

Elijah and I had known each other for a while now and never had we broken our word to each other. We had twisted our words and manipulated but never had we broken our word. I was to be trusted and I knew it would the only way to dig the information out of him.

Elijah sighed and motioned to the room which I had slept in. I sat back down on the couch, the headache seeming to lessen minorly. It was know more of a background noise than anything else. I was so desperate for information that it hadn't been important as Elijah spoke.

'We do not know much. His condition only appeared last night and it seems to be getting worse. He is fine one minute and in absoloute agony the next. I can only assume it has been passed to you. Someone is trying to injure the vampire's, that's all I can assume. Klaus is unable to fight and that puts him in a dangerous position. He has too many enemies to count and there is no way that he could fight them off as of now.'

I groaned. How could so much go so wrong just by the Mikaelsons coming to this town. 'Elijah, I'm not sure if you're right.' I began, trying to meet his eyes but my vision was blurred to the extent that I could barely make out shapes. 'Everything is fine when I'm within a few metres radius of Klaus. It seems that as soon as he leaves that everything floods back.'

Elijah looked curious now; he leant in and paused for breath. 'What symptoms have occured?' He asked, making me feel as if I were in hospital- something that hadn't happened in years unless to visit. He scanned my body, looking for physical signs but seemed to come up with nothing- at least, I hoped that was what he was doing.

'I mean, it's only been a night. I'm not quite sure of everything. I have headaches, dizziness and it seems an odd urge to find Klaus.' I groaned, leaning my head against the headrest. 'Though the headache is the most prominent.' I gritted my teeth as the headache hit at full force.

'I need Klaus.' I spat, clutching my head. 'I can't deal with this anymore.' He nodded and called for his brother, though I couldn't hear- my ears we now ringing as loud as a stampede. It stopped when I heard the door slam and Klaus stand in the doorway.

'At last!' I shouted to him as he found himself within a few metres of me. The headache faded and finally I could see again. But instead of Klaus, I saw the person I least wanted to see. There stood Rebekah Mikaelson, the woman who had sworn to kill me as I - literally - stabbed her in the back.

I couldn't help but cover myself as if she wouldn't notice me. I was simply glad that the headache was gone but I couldn't understand. I had yet to see Klaus around though he must have been unless Rebekah too could solve this problem.

'I've managed to find every Mikaelson but the one I'm looking for.' I cried, throwing my head back and closing my eyes.

'Thanks for the bright welcome home.' Rebekah sneered, directing it at both me and Elijah. Elijah seemed amused at the conversation at hand, his lips quirking up just a fraction at the edges. Rebekah was less than happy, though. She had a scowl plastered on her face as she tottered towards us in her overly sized heels, coming face to face with us.

I watched cautiously, wondering what was about to unfurl. Rebekah approached Elijah, forgetting my existence, and paused. Hesitantly, she pulled him into a tight hug, murmuring 'I missed you so much,' into his neck.

'Me too.' He stated, calmly. Rebekah smiled for the first time since she had arrived and it seemed my existence really had been forgotten.

'I didn't come just from the reunion, though. I got your message and it better be important. I was hiding from Klaus for a reason.' She spat, taking a step back. I listened in, intrigued that Elijah had brought his sister along.

They then moved away as if finally realising I was in the room and began to talk in hushed voices that even my vampire hearing couldn't pick up. I gave up hope and gathered my things, getting ready to leave and find Klaus.

I was almost out the door when Klaus made his appearance. He must have been outside the door the whole time but I didn't mind, I was glad that there seemed to be no trace of the headache left behind.

When Klaus entered, he didn't even seem to look in my direction. He pushed past me and strode towards his siblings- it seemed that none of them were about to notice me. 'I have solves the situation at hand!' He announced, finally reaching his two siblings- who both seemed rather nervous to see their brother. It seemed that they were still nervous about being put back in coffins.

'Oh, sister. Glad you could come, we have a lot to discuss.' He spoke slyly, collapsing onto the nearby couch, as Rebekah swallowed timidly. He still hadn't noticed my presence but it seemed the others had remembered when they looked shyly between me and Klaus.

I hated this, I hated him. I hated the feeling of fear as he entered the room. He had an aura around him that brought enemies to their knees, even his siblings. In that moment, I just wanted to leave but I knew I couldn't if I wanted to figure out what was wrong with me- us.

'The problem,' he announced, a smug smile on his face as if he had just accomplished the hardest task in the world, 'is Elena.'

word count: 936

edit 1 - 20.02.17 - new word count - 1458