I saw her standing there

It was the night of the dance and Maggie was doing Caroline's makeup and what not to get her ready.

"Ow! is this really necessary, Mags." Maggie was plucking Caroline's eyebrows.

"It is if you don't want to go looking like a hobo."

"Remind me to never let you convince me to go anywhere again."

"Carol, I want your children to know me as their favorite auntie Maggie who made you go out and that's how you met your husband."

"Looks like you have higher hopes than I do."

"I'm just going to pretend that you didn't say that."

And so she proceded to finish prepping Caroline up to impress her 'husband' she was destined to meet.

...

The dance was nice with balloons and streamers everywhere. Caroline moved to go sit in a chair near the food table in the back. As Maggie went off to dance Caroline looked around the room and happened to see the boy who had knocked her over earlier at the store. He was glancing around too and managed to make eye contact. Caroline started blushing and her heart was racing as he walked over to her.

"Well hello. Fancy meeting you here." He smiled down at her.

"Hi." She said only quickly glancing up at him.

"Would you like to dance, I think I owe you that."

"Um you see I'm not very good at dancing and you probably have a date so-"

"Calm down, I'm not with anyone and I'll lift you so you can stand on my feet to dance if you want to." He didn't even wait for an answer. He just grabbed her hand and lead her to the floor.

The microphone blared as someone made an announcement, "We always spotlight the best looking couple at every dance and it looks like we found them."

Suddenly the spotlight bore straight down on Caroline and the boy she was with. She panicked and gave him a nervous look.

"Don't worry, just follow what I say."

She nodded and when the music started he told her how and where to do what and the dance turned out very decent. The song, "jailhouse rock," ended and everybody clapped. Caroline heard one girl complaining to her friend.

"I can't believe they did this to me, I've been spotlighted every year and this stranger gets it!"

Caroline heard rapid high heels clicking and turned around. The girl grabbed the back of her hair, dragged her to the table, and smeared her clothes and hair with food. A teacher came up and made the other girl go home. Everyone was staring at Caroline and she ran outside crying and sat on the steps. 

Maggie rushed out after her and sat next to her saying how sorry she was then ran back inside to grab some extra clothes she had in her locker. While she was gone the boy walked out and sat next to her.

"Hey I'm sorry about that, are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine. My dress, on the other hand, is ruined."

"You should let me get you a new one."

"It's fine, thanks for the offer though."

"No no I want to." 

"Please, I'm fine."

"At least tell me your name?"

"Caroline. Caroline Summers."

"Well okay, I'm Brian Dailey."

Just then Maggie ran out carrying jeans and a sweatshirt.

"Oh Carol go change in the bathroom and I'll take your dress when you come out."

She looked at Brian.

"Hey you're the guy who ran into Carol."

"Yeah, that's me." 

"I'm going to change now. Bye Brian. See you when I get done Mags."

Caroline ran into the school and saw Maggie go up and talk to Brian. She quickly changed and when she came back out Brian had left and Maggie took the dress.

"I'm going to have this cleaned for you."

"Okay, thank you."

"You know he likes you."

"I like him too."