Chapter 17: Howdy Partner

Start from the beginning

I actually hadn't seen Devyn since our trip to the mall. Which was two days ago by the way. Jared and I made our way into the auditorium and quickly found some seats on the bleachers. We were at Noah's musical show. Noah's family was also here but I don't exactly know where they were stationed at.

The lights suddenly dimmed down and the chattering came to a halt. Swiftly a white neon strip of light landed upon someone. The band teacher. She happily smiled and the crowd roared with excitement.

"Hello students and family's of Oakwood high. I'm glad you all could join us on this wonderful Thursday. I'm Mrs. Gazump I'll be your host tonight. Are you ready to see an exciting show? Behind these curtains are some talented beings..."

"Psst, Ry, man that's Ashton." Jared whispered the moment the entrance doors opened to the auditorium.

I squinted my eyes through the dimly lit room and standing with his arms crossed and leaning against the entrance doors was in fact Ashton.

"You think Sanders has a soft spot for Noah?" Jared wondered.

I shrugged. "Shh, it's starting."

"Ladies and gentleman give it up for our first solo act.... Noah Gerhart."

Jared and I whooped and hollered along with the rest of the auditorium. The lights flickered off and we were welcomed by darkness and without warning a twinkle of polished, bright light shone directly on Noah. He sat on a black, stool with his guitar in one hand and a microphone to his lips. I observed Noah carefully the moment he struck a string on the guitar. The guitar was an ordinary brown, wooden, acoustic guitar. But what  Noah did with it was far from ordinary. He was a genius, everyone said so.

"I"m go-going to be, um, singing a song by Andy Grammer and it's called keep your head up." Noah stuttered nervously into the mic. His voice was shaky but he coughed and glanced into the crowd.

I thought his song choice was perfect. It was important for Noah to keep his head up. Especially with everything he's gone through losing his mother, the bullying and the constant reminder that he's an easy target. I know he can do this.

"Let's go Noah." I screamed in the silence earning myself curious glances from the people around us. Jared nudged me and I could see Noah smiling as his lips pressed against the microphone.

I've been waiting on the sunset

Bills on my mindset

I can get deny they're getting high

Higher than my income

Income's breadcrumbs

I've been trying to survive

His voice was smooth and clear and quiet yet powerful. Soothing, in a way. I know you don't really call a guy's voice beautiful, but his was. It was the promise of tomorrow. It was beautiful. And some weird part of me wished he'd never stop.

*****

The next day Mrs. Taylor was talking about our Chemistry project. She would be assigning us partners. That was something I wasn't looking forward to, at all. I never did well working in a group I was a more do-it-yourself kind of guy. Not because I was shy or anything. Just because I found working independently helps you in the long run.

".... so when you hear your name get up out of your seats and head on over to the lab stations. Arnold Condom and Sarah Blanchard. Millie and Adam. Trevor and Kasey...." Mrs. Taylor continued to call out different peoples names. Everyone began shuffling to a particular lab station and I softly smiled. Maybe I'll be working alone. "and finally Ryker Harley and Devyn Foster."