“Hi, how are you today?” I ask cheerfully to whoever has entered, still looking down at my phone. It’s exactly ten o’clock.

“I’m better now.”

I look up at him, and my entire world shifts an inch, back into its proper place.

I stand from my stool and walk quickly around the counter, forgetting that I’m even at work.

He is smiling at me, wearing a black shirt and a large, denim jacket. His hair is messy and he looks tired, but content.

When I’m close enough, he reaches out and grabs me, pulling me into his chest and wrapping his arms tightly around my back. His chin rests on the top of my head as I bury my face into his strong chest.

I’m never leaving home again, I think to myself, and then my thoughts quiet.

He finally lays a kiss on my head, and I force myself to break away.

He holds onto my arms still, and bows his head, nearly touching his forehead to mine, but keeping far enough away so that he can study my face.

His eyes look so gorgeous – a brighter blue than usual, but still deep.

We haven’t even spoken yet, but I don’t feel any silence.

I reach my hand to his face, running my fingertips over faint darkness under his eyes.

“You look sleepy,” I say in a hushed voice.

“I’m tired, baby,” his voice is just as low, “I couldn’t sleep.”

“I haven’t slept well either,” I agree.

“We’ll be together tonight.”

I can’t tell if he’s asking, or telling. “Yes,” is all that I say.

“Hey, Stella you have to try this sou– Oh.”

Charlie and I both look towards Allie at the same time. She’s just rushed out of the kitchen and is clearly stunned, but she immediately smiles at me.

“Sorry,” she says, “The soup is almost done. Jimmy is a good teacher. You just have to try it!”

She disappears back into the kitchen then, and I think I hear her giggle a bit.
I take a deep breath and turn back to Charlie. “You didn’t cut your trip short for me, did you?”

“Two days was enough for me. But yes, I came home a day early because I wanted to see you. You don’t have to feel bad,”

“Good, because it would be hard to feel bad. I’m too happy that you’re back.”

I want to kiss him. Since we haven’t in days though, what I would mean to be a very simple kiss would likely turn into something else after just the lightest touch of our lips. And I’m at work, unfortunately.

I reach up and pull at the collar of his jacket.

“Did you want to eat while you’re here?” I ask, wishing that I could sit with him, or just go home with him now.

“No. I just wanted to see you. I’m going to go home and nap until I can see you again,” he smiles, “When can you come over?”

“I have classes this afternoon. Should I just text you when I’m on my way over?”

“I’ll pick you up,” He says.

“You don’t have to. But if you want to, I won’t protest,” I smile up at him. I’ve even missed riding in his car.

“I want to,” his eyes are soft in his smile.

“I’ll just text you later then. I love you. Have a good nap.”