Chapter Seven

Harry moved to kneel before him. Perhaps he was being reckless, he had only just met the man after all. But he had never felt like this before, so strongly and so suddenly. He had heard of love at first sight, why shouldn't it happen to him? "May I?" he asked gently.

Confusion marred Draco's brow, until it smoothed into happiness. "Of course," he whispered back.

Harry leaned forwards, and carefully pressed his lips to Draco's. They were cool, and soft as satin, but as soon as they touched a warmth burst to life, and he jumped back in shock.

Draco, likewise, shot to his feet, staring at his hands in awe. His pale skin was glowing, and he began to laugh. Not the sound blemished by hope that had still managed to fill Harry with joy, but an honest, wonderful laugh of freedom. "It is working!" Draco cried, tears in his eyes.

Harry didn't know what he could feel, but clearly he was changing into a fully grown Veela, and he too leapt to his feet in delight. And then he could see why the process was called 'unfurling'.

Wings, fluffy as a newborn chick and white as pure snow, were revealing themselves from his back, until they spanned half the room in their mightiness. "I thought you beautiful before," Harry said, his voice trembling. "But now you are truly an angel."

Gradually, the glow vanished from his skin, but Draco still smiled as if he had not been so happy in all his years. "You have freed me Harry. Can it be, do you in fact love me?"

Harry laughed. "As far as I can know, I think I do. Is that madness?"

"Only if loving you too is madness," Draco said, and stepped forward to embrace Harry.

Their first kiss and been sweet and chaste, cut short by the Unfurling and dismantling of the curse. But this kiss set Harry's heart of fire, and he took Draco in his arms, feeling his wings envelope him protectively. "Now shall you leave this prison?" he asked, and Draco squeezed him tightly.

"Gladly," he said. "But first."

He went to the stove, where a knife lay nearby. He offered Harry the hilt. "Do you wish to do the honours?" he asked, holding up where the plait of his hair began. "I long to be free of this weight, and I think we could get a pretty price for it at the market."

Harry beamed at him. "Fair money," he said, light with the thought of not stealing for once. "To start our life together."

"Indeed," Draco said.

The blade cut through the hair smoothly, like it was no more than water, and Draco sighed contentedly as he shook his remaining locks happily. They coiled the plait into a basket, ready to depart, and Draco opened up his arms.

"Come here, my love," he said, pulling Harry safely to his side. "So we may find out what freedom really feels like."

He beat his impressive wings once, lifting them from the ground. Harry nuzzled into Draco's neck, feeling the warmth of his body and the power running through his veins. "Let us fly," he said, as they left the prison tower behind, heading into the sunset, ready to begin their future lives, together.

The End

If you would like to check out my published books, you can find me as Helen Juliet and HJ Welch on Amazon!