12

E P I L O G U E

E P I L O G U E

Jen woke abruptly to the sound of her 10 month old crying. Sitting up quickly, preparing to get up, she noticed the other side of the bed was empty, and Maria's crying was beginning to cease. After tying her robe around her, Jen made her way down the hallway to her baby's room, seeing her fiancé rocking their daughter, humming a lullaby to her. Jen remembered the exact moment where everything fell into place.

Sam was holding his daughter for the first time, swaying ever so gently, watching the tiny human that he helped create, albeit not knowingly.

"I swear to you, Maria," he promised her. "I will protect you with every force of my being, every breath from my lungs, every minute of my life."

Jen listened intently, and Sam looked up from the baby, finding eye contact with the girl he had loved since high school.

"I want to be a part of her life, Jen," he continued. "I want to watch her grow, help her learn, and love her... Like a father should..."

"Sam I--" Jen was cut off.

"I want to be in your life too. I know we have our problems, and I haven't taken you on a proper date but..."

"Sam..." Jen knew exactly what was happening.

"Jen, will you marry me?"

"Sam?" Jen spoke softly. He turned slowly to face her, their daughter falling back to sleep easily.

"Yes?"

"I love you."

-

Dedicated to batsgirI and martymxfly because y'all wanted it. I might be editing this in the future but I doubt it.

Ps this was written really fast at 1:30 am so don't hurt me