6

F L U

F L U

Jen coughed, turning the phone away from her mouth. "Sorry," she apologised, "I've been sick for a few days."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Sam asked.

Jen pulled her blanket up closer around her neck, and a few used tissues fell to the floor. "Because it wasn't necessary. It's not life threatening. It's probably just the flu."

"Do you need me there?"

"Sam, you are not travelling all the way back to Lincoln just to take care of me." She turned away from the phone again, coughing.

"But it pains me when you're sick," Sam said, listening to every sound she made.

"I mean it, Sam, don't come to Lincoln. You have more urgent matters than caring for me."

Sam let out a hum of defeat. "Fine," he pouted. "But I don't have to like it."

"That's right. I promise, I can take care of myself."

They both stayed silent for a little while, listening to each other breathing, not needing to say anything.

After about a minute or two, Sam did speak.

"I love you, Jen."

Jen blushed, alone on her couch, curled up under her blanket.

"I love you too."

"Get some rest okay?"

"Okay. Say hi to Dean for me."

"I will."

They both stayed on the line for a little while longer, before saying "I love you" to each other, and hanging up.