Returning Faces

Warning(s): None, just love taps...

Word count: 4736 words.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Previously~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alarms screamed out in the white room, signaling an intruder. Clad in a bloody T-shirt and lab coat, a lone man continues to work, abandoned by everyone else. He hadn't finished with his patient yet, but he was willing to compromise for time. Looking down at his helpless victim, he mumbled a single word.

"Pyre."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Now~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Be a dear and go distract the intruders for me." The man - the doctor - says with ease. "I need a head start, it wouldn't be fair without one." With the press of a button, his patient rips their way out of the restraints.

A fond smile flashed on the doctor's face, like he had just sent his first child to kindergarten. Oh, how fast his little weapon had grown, It might just bring tears to his eyes! But that didn't matter, no. He had to make a run for it, and fast. He need not make this easy for them.

"Ta-ta, I'll see you when this is over." He waves from the door, receiving a curt nod in response.

With that, the doctor runs quickly through the maze of hallways, twisting and turning. A gruff shout snaps through the air signaling that someone had seen him. As a figure starts to run after him, a loud 'boom' and a flash of heat spreads around the area. Soon the doctor's Cheshire smirk has taken over.

'Such a good girl.' He thought, stopping for a moment to watch the utter chaos Pyre was creating. "Give them a show, dear!" He shouts over his shoulder, turning the corner.

A metal arm shoots out of the rubble, clearing way for the person attached to it. With an angry grunt, Bucky jumps away from the next oncoming attack. Where was Steve? He was right behind him a minute ago.

"Steve, you there?" Bucky calls into the earpiece, continuing to dodge further attacks. He scans for a weakness, anything to stop this mutant.

"Little busy, Buck." Steve shouts from the other end of the device, a frown settling on Bucky.

"So am I." Bucky grunts, rolling behind another wall. This chick was proving to be difficult. "Get over here, now!" He commands, throwing large chunks of rubble at the threat.

For a moment the attacks subside, this concerns Bucky. The enemy doesn't just give up, not in his line of work. Where did she go then? He chances a glance to see that Pyre is lying on the ground, covered in rubble. She seems to be alive, just knocked unconscious.

"Thought you might need some help, elderly are so very fragile, after all." Tony piped up, looking down at Pyre. "And by the look of things, I got here just in time."

"And it looks like I was a little late." Steve barges into the room, pulling the doctor harshly along with him. "Sorry Buck, I had an unexpected doctor's appointment I had to catch." Steve glares down at the smirking man in his grasp.

"Oh my, seems like Pyre will have a headache when she wakes up..." The doctor chuckled, keeping an eye on the fallen girl. "Like dear (F/n) had." He said, watching a reaction rise within the men's eyes. Oh, how he loved it.

"Such fury," a wicked smile forming on his features, "it suits you well, gentlemen." His eyes move over to Bucky, looking over him fully. "The bubbling anger, it almost most radiates off of you, Hydra did well."

Steve had almost had enough of this man, he didn't like the way the doctor treated people; objects would be a better word for it. But before anyone could say or do anything else, Bucky had punched the doctor square in the face with his regular fist. A sickly sweet crack could be heard as the doctor stumbled in Steve's hold, reaching for his nose- it was broken.