A Vow For Eternity

Start from the beginning

That's it.

There is only one way.

Only a demon can defeat a demon.

How could I have been so stupid?

I emerge from Guren's body and he snaps towards me out of irritation at my disobedience. The words I speak to him are utterly short. The urgency brims my chest, causing me to hyperventilate in horror. "Get the others to safety. I am going to find Yuu. Things are going to be alright." He reaches furiously for my wrist, fear radiates from his eyes. I can see the scene play out before my naïve mind. This has happened before. I promised him things would be alright and he almost lost me. I cannot blame him for his actions. I smile at him warmly and my eyes narrow in a fiery passion. My expression pleads for him to trust me and he hesitantly loosens his grip from my wrist. I sprint off into the distance, combing the square for Yuuichiro Hyakuya.

Yuu's P.O.V

My breath stutters with exhaustion, sweat drips from my aggravated temples. Despite my confident persona, my hand shakes lightly. Suddenly, (f/n) approaches me from the left. She waves her hands frantically, beckoning me to speak with her. She places her hand on my shoulder and stares deeply into my eyes with her crimson orbs. Her tenseness and seriousness radiates around us. "Are you ready to defeat your demon?" She questions and I freeze at her words. The shock consumes me and I am unable to move. "I need you to close your eyes and call for Asuramaru." She instructs and I finally manage to shake myself from my trance. I nod coherently and firmly shut my eyes. I feel my legs give out from underneath me and I collapse. The world erupts into darkness. When I wake again, Asuramaru faces me.

"You've finally come, Yuiichiro." He speaks lightly; little worry is evident in his stagnant voice. I grit my teeth knowing what must be done. It pains me no matter how much I try to shake the truth from my mind. It takes a demon to defeat a demon. I must save my friends. I must rebuild this crumbling world.

"I'm sorry Asuramaru, but this is something I must do to ensure the future of humanity." I speak confidently, but Asuramaru seems unaffected by my words. He just sighs amidst his chuckles. He looks to me and for the first time I see him smile. It isn't harsh or forced. The slight curl of his lips lifts my spirits and sets me at ease. His next words surprise me, leaving me flustered for breath.

"You know, Yashirohira and I used to be close friends. He would always speak highly of (f/n), bragging about her strong resolve and pure heart. He truly made her a formidable demon. She has taught you the truth about this senseless world. You are no longer oblivious, there is finally hope for your corrupt race. If he could see her now, he would be unbelievably proud. I, too, am proud of you Yuu. It's time for you to take back this world." Before I can react, Asuramaru has plunged his blade deep into his own chest. I run towards him and reach my arms out to catch the last flecks of dust as they disperse into the thin air. I fall to my knees in a heap and sob violently into my own hands. Though my heart is filled with sorrow, I do not weep out of regret. Asuramaru was never a possessive demon; he followed my uncouth antics until the end. I now understand what he wanted from this world and I am determined to achieve it. I stand with vigor and bring my hand to my chest in salute. Water clouds my passionate vision. I feel a strange energy rush through me and my fingertips tingle with power.

When I open my eyes again (f/n)'s face comes into focus. She extends a grateful hand and I pounce swiftly to my feet. Her glare is filled with deadly intent as she pierces my startled eyes. As she speaks, she latches her hand firmly around mine. "You take the 5 on the left, I'll take the 6 on the right." I nod and smile sadistically. Thank you Asuramaru. I won't let you down.