1

Shadow woke to a rapid thumping of keyboard keys and a mumbling Adam, who was obviously up to do heavy research. With a deep sigh, Shadow rolled over to find Adam sitting on the king sized bed with a Mac laptop and glasses which were falling down his flat nose. "You're panicking," Shadow muttered as she slowly sat up, acknowledging the pain in her leg from the night before. She took a moment to look around. She was in a new apartment. The windows went from floor to ceiling, exposing a view on the grim city of Stoneville. The walls were painted a pearl white colour, and the furniture was a plum colour, including the piano which stood in the corner of the room. It seemed like the bedroom, living room and the kitchen were just one huge room. The light shone through the windows, blinding Shadow alittle as she squinted. "They gave us a nice place to crash, a hugeamount of money to blow on stupid crap we don't need. I'll be offhunting bad guys, while you play rich for a couple weeks," Shadowsmiled at Adam, but despite Shadow's wide and genuine smile, Adam'sexpression remained plain.

"Burkeisn't on any databases, whatsoever, Shadow. How do you know he'sworking for the government and not some secret mob trying to blow thecity up?" Adam asked as he lifted his head from the screen andlooked at Shadow, who was already up from the bed. Her brown, deadstraight hair hung just over her buttocks. Just then she noticed shewas in a tank top and shorts. She stretched greatly, and slowlyturned to her best friend. "Adam. I'm smart. Am I smart? I'm verysmart-" she began, but Adam cut her off.

"You'reirrational, Shadow. You underestimate everybody apart from yourselfand just go straight into things and end up in a situation like thisone."

"I'mnot irrational.I'm fast paced. By the time I have gathered every piece ofinformation on a target, they would be out of the country with highlevel security."

"But how on earth do you know that-"

"I don't. Simple as. Anyway, where's my costume, Adam, and what onearth am I wearing?"

"They brought you here, said you passed out from medication. Ifound these in the wardrobe so I changed you, I hope you don't mi-"

"That bastard gave me a date-rapepill?"

Adam opened his mouth to say something, but quickly closed it and ranhis fingers through his hair. "Look, we'll be out of this apartmentby twelve," Shadow smiled at Adam, who was about to protest when aknock came on the door. Shadow's gaze shot to the white door asAdam's shot to her. She gestured for him to move to the other side ofthe room and he did as instructed, grabbing the laptop on his way. Heshut it closed and slid it under the huge bed which took up half theroom. As Shadow approached the door, she noticed her two swords bythe door, and she grabbed one as she passed, sliding it out of theholster. As her hand moved towards the handle and she mentallyprepared herself for defence, another knock came, "Rise and shinemiss! It's David here!" Shadow frowned and glanced at Adam, whoseemed to get only more nervous at the thought. "I must warn you,if you won't open the door soon there might be trouble. I think yourcooperation will be in both of our best interests," his cheerfulvoice seemed to give Shadow chills, and a headache. Hesitantly, shepulled the door open, to reveal Burke with two heavily armed menbehind him. Burke had a wide smile on his face, and was wearing acharcoal suit with a sapphire bow-tie. His hair was perfectlysmoothed to the left and his hands were in the pockets of histrousers. "Well good morning, you'd best put that away. The guyshere get a little irritated at such objects," he gestured toShadow's sword, then looked over his shoulder at what looked like hisbody guards. When Shadow finally laid down her sword, Burke let out asigh.

As Burke came into the room, Shadow backed away to Adam clenching herfists harder and harder. "What do you want?" Shadow demanded asBurke looked around the room. The two body guards stood close to thenow closed door with their rifles pointed forward. "I want you andMr. Thompson to attend a mission debriefing. It's vital that you makean appearance in two hours Miss Peters-" Burke was cut off."Shadow," she spat.