25 | time to spill the beans

2 5

time to spill the beans

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"I don't want to," Cara whined.

Steve gave her a pointed look and said, "You knew it was going to happen sometime."

She nodded begrudgingly. "Yeah, but I still don't want to tell everyone. I mean, why can't you do it? Or J.A.R.V.I.S.? He knew before I knew he knew." She crossed her arms.

"Cara." Steve's beautiful eyes pierced her own, and after a beat, she gave in.

"Fine," she grumbled. "But if they want to kick me out, you're coming with me."

He grinned. "I doubt that'll happen, but okay." Grabbing her hand, the two walked into the living room where everyone else was waiting for the rendition of the story that had haunted Cara for the past eight years.

-

"Hold on, let me get this straight."

Clint shifted on the couch he was sitting on and stared at Cara as if she'd just grown three new heads. "You were framed for your mother's death? But she wasn't even murdered! She took her own life."

Cara swallowed a lump in her throat. "Can you not say it like that? It may have been eight years ago but it doesn't feel like it."

Steve nodded, putting a hand on her shoulder. But when she looked up at him, he wasn't meeting her eyes. He was lost in a memory of something, someone. "I know how you feel."

"Yeah, sorry," Clint apologized sympathetically, "but how did he get away with it? Wouldn't there have been some evidence to go against him? Besides, you were nine."

She held up her hands. "Apparently my dad was very influential when making a case against his daughter." She scowled. "Sick bastard."

"What about your Aunt May?" Nat suggested. "Don't you think she's still out there? Don't you think she would've fought for custody?"

Cara shrugged, but was still taken aback at the kind way Nat was treating her. It was a shock to be on her good side, and didn't want to do anything to jeopardize it.

"I don't know," she sighed. "I haven't heard from her ever since I was nine."

A silence filled the room, and then Thor spoke.

"Believe me this, Cara," he said, his normally booming voice softer than usual. "I am sorry for the horrors you had to face while at such a young age, but I do not think you should let it take over your life. You Midgardians have such short lives, it is not worth it to be sorrow over small things like these."

"Her mother committed suicide," Tony cut in, "I don't think that's exactly small."

But Thor didn't miss a beat. "I am just saying that if you wish to confront your father about this, all of us will support you. But if you choose to ignore it, we will be behind you on that action, as well."

Cara was touched by his words. She'd never really made an effort to become close to the god, but now, after he'd confirmed that she'd have his support no matter what, she began to regret her decision. "Well, I know that I'm still pissed as hell because he didn't acknowledge the fact that she wasn't well, but I don't want to confront him about it."

"What?" Everyone stared at Cara, dumbfounded.

She ducked her head. "Why do I have to? I'm done with that part of my life, that chapter's closed. I'll always remember my mom, but I know that she wanted me to make a name for myself, I know that she wanted me to live my life to the fullest. And if I grieve forever, I'll never get that chance. Coming to live with you guys has made me feel like those past years of feeling lost in foster homes was worth it."

"You don't want to find out what he's doing with his life? Or at least live a place that's more...normal?" Bruce shifted in his seat as he mumbled the word, and Cara knew he was talking about himself.

"You are normal," she reassured him, and reached across the empty space to squeeze his hand to prove it. "When I'm here, it feels right. The Avengers Tower is...it's my home."

Steve smiled widely, obviously pleased.

"Are you sure, though?" Nat furrowed her eyebrows at her. "I don't really get you. If I were you, I'd be all up in that guy's face, getting revenge and--"

"Well, you're not me," Cara reminded her with a smirk, "and for the record, Gramps doesn't get me either, so I guess I may just be that confusing."

Tony raised his hands. "Alright, I'm calling this family meeting a success. Drinks, anyone?"

The majority of the team nodded in response, and while everyone went to the bar to get them, Steve turned to Cara, questions swimming in his eyes.

"Confused again, honey?" She teased affectionately, winking. "Don't worry, I'll explain it to you when you get older."

"I am older," he huffed. "I'm almost eighty years older than you."

Cara smirked, loving the way she could get him worked up so easily. Then she grabbed his hand. "What were you going to ask?"

"Why don't you want to call your aunt? Don't you think she's been worrying about you ever since that day?" He tipped his head towards hers and rested his forehead against her own.

She shook her head lightly, a sad smile on her face as she pulled away. "If she was, I think she'd have tried to find me."

"Maybe she has," he tried to reason with her, but she denied him again.

"I doubt it. She's probably forgotten about me already."

Steve pulled her into his arms, his chin resting on the top of her head. "No she hasn't," he objected firmly, "no one could forget about you."

"Drinks all around--oh, do you two lovebirds need a moment?" Nat teased with a glint in her eyes.

Steve wasn't fazed by their friend's constant banter at them anymore, it seemed, because he only shook his head. "No. Cara's going to call her Aunt May."

Cara whirled around to glare at him. "I am not!" She scowled.

"Oh, come on!" Nat said, taking his side. "It'll do you good. Maybe she'll like you and want to see you again."

Cara crossed her arms. "And if she doesn't?"

"Well, then...we'll go down to the training center and take your anger out on the targets."

The teen sighed. She knew there was no way to get out of this one. The men standing behind Nat were all nodding eagerly. The only one against the idea was Cara.

"But I don't even know her number," Cara made an excuse.

"So? Ever heard of my buddy J.A.R.V.I.S.?" Tony suggested. "He'll find her."

After a moment, Cara gave in. "Fine."

"Yes!" Nat cheered. "J.A.R.V.I.S., find a reachable phone number for Cara's aunt."

"Wait, I don't know her last name, won't he need that, too?"

Tony shrugged. "He's J.A.R.V.I.S. J.A.R.V.I.S. doesn't need last names."

"Too right you are," the program responded.

Tony smiled triumphantly.

Cara sunk lower in her chair.