Prologue

Nichole paced the hallway, sweat dripped down her face. She ran her hands through her long curly brown hair, sweat caused it to stick to her face.

She had dazzling brown eyes with speckles of gold.

She looked back over her shoulder as she heard the sound of a door opening. Her older sister, Emily, stood in the door with a pained expression on her face.

Nichole blinked and tilted her head as a single tear rolled down her sister's flawless face. She raced forward and threw her arms around her sister's neck,. and buried her face in her chest.

"She didn't make it" Emily choked out.

Nichole burst into tears and her knuckles turned white as she tightened her grip on Emily's shirt. It felt weird for Nichole to see her usually composed sister crying. It was like she had built a barrier around her emotions, and it just collapsed.

Nichole sobbed until her big sister pulled back and held her away by the shoulder.

"Nikki, there's something you need to know. Mom didn't die from an accident, she was murdered. I know who did it." She said with a frown.

Nichole narrowed her eyes in confusion and anger, "Why wouldn't you tell them who?! Why did you lie!?" She demanded crossing her arms over her small chest.

Emily sighed and shook her head, she sat down and took Nichole's hands in hers.

"We have powers: shapeshifting, telekinesis, levitating, manipulation, and much more." She explained quietly.

Nichole blinked and stared at her sister, her face lit up when she let what her sister just said sink in.

"WHAT?! WE'RE MAGIC? MAGIC'S REAL?! What powers do you have, or mom, or dad? Or me?" She exclaimed.

Emily looked at her and put her hands over her mouth quickly, "You can't tell ANYONE!" She hissed looking around wearily.

Nichole nodded and whimpered. Emily sighed and moved her hands.

"You weren't supposed to find out until you were 15, you're only 12 and-"

"I'm 13! I know your age! You're 16" Nichole interrupted poutingly.

Emily rolled her eyes "Whatever" She said, " I have Shapeshifting, mom had mind reading, and dad has levitation and manipulation." She explained.

Nichole tilted her head and her eyes widened, "What do I have?" She asked.

Emily bit her lip and glanced around again, "You're extremely important to the Kyra, which is the society of magic. You've shown signs of every single power. That means you are wanted in every single society there is out there. The biggest one that's after you is Magecy, an extremely high tech group that will stop at nothing to get you, they'll even kill.... mom"

Nichole's eyes went from bright and full of excitement to angry, dull, and hopeless. "I'm the reason mom's dead?" She whispered.

Emily shook her head and stood up wrapping her arms around her baby sister. "NO! Don't you ever say that again! Mom fought for what the agency told her to." She said staring into her little sister's eyes.

Nichole nodded and looked away from Emily, tears gathered in her yes. "I love you" She whispered knowing her sister wouldn't reply.

Emily sighed and kissed her sister's cheek, "I love you too".