04 || I Am Not Your Partner

Start from the beginning

"But you're happy because you've seen her happy, right?"

Another nod.

"You see that man over there, Mr. Jay?," they both look up at Rick, "He can't be happy. He doesn't know if she is or not, there's no way of knowing till we find her."

"That's my problem, why?," he furrows his brows.

"It's not," she sarcastically chuckles, "But, just think about if someone were to take Harley from you. How unhappy the thought that you didn't have the slightest clue if she was alright or not would make you. And if someone would tell you even the smallest fraction of her current life, it would give you closure."

Rick Flag and Sierra Keller were sat upon a large table in the base's conference room, having a video status report talk with Amanda Waller

"Good job, Agent Keller," Amanda praises her through the screen, "You got the Joker singing like a bird."

"I try my best, Agent Waller," she smiles.

"Keep doing what you're doing, cause," she chuckles, "it's working."

"Thank you," she grins, blushing slightly because of all the positive comments she was getting.

"You better watch this one, Flag, she may replace you soon," she jokes, finally cracking a long held smile.

"Good one, Amanda," Rick purses his lips, switching the TV off with the remote that sat beside him for the past thirty minutes of their meeting leading up to the end.

Sierra lets out a small victorious sigh, then propping her legs up on the table and leaning back on her chair while crossing her arms behind her head. "Work well done, partner."

"I am not your partner," he shakes his head, sinking back into his chair too.

"Suit yourself, Flag," she shrugs, "Anyone would love to be my partner."

As they sat opposite each other, all Rick could do was think about her words, trying not to ponder too much, but they certainly caught his curiosity.

"The stuff you said about love, I mean," he looked at her with his cerulean blue eyes, "was that all genuine? Or were you just doing that to get that stuff out of Napier?"

She chuckled, looking down for a second, "What does it matter?"

"I mean, it does," he sort of sat upright, still relaxing back, "You really knew what you were talking about, Keller."

"You said it yourself, Flag, I know nothing about love," she fired back, an underlying jokey tone to her remark.

"Well, you proved me wrong, Keller," he chuckled, "So, tell me. Who was the lucky, or should I say unlucky, guy?"

"No one," she shook her head, "There was absolutely nobody. Nobody anymore."

"Oh, heartbreak. That's a toughie," he jokes.

"Tell you what," she smirks, "If we survive through this, I'll let you know all about 'Mr. Right', sound fair?"

"Sounds completely unfair," he laughs, "C'mon, Keller, you know everything about my love life and what it's made me. So, I want to know about what made Sierra Keller the sarcastic chick, that she is."

"Your ears don't need that sort of blessing right now," she jokes.

"Oh, yeah?," he challenges, leaning forwards, "Then what do I need?"

"A baptism?," she raises an eyebrow.

"There's that infamous sense of humor, or lack of, in this case," he gives her a toothy grin.

"Hey, don't be a hater," she playfully gasped.

Suddenly her phone began ringing, the song You're in the Army Now by Status Quo began radiating from her cellular device.

"Catchy ringtone," Flag smirks.

She holds a finger up to him as she answers her phone, "Go for Sierra Keller."

"Hey, Sierra, it's Brody," a thick Jersey accent seeps though the phone.

"Hey, hi, what's up?," she smiles, "I'm in the middle of a meeting right now, can it wait?"

"Sierra, it's Michael's second anniversary today...," the voice mutters.

Her eyebrows furrow, and a small frown takes place on her lips, "Brody, I told you not to call about...that."

"That, is my brother," he huffs, "Anyways, could you make it down to Jersey tonight for us?"

"I'm at work, Brody," she gulps, "I'll talk to you later."

And with that, her phone is back on the table, sliding away from her.

"Ex boyfriend issues?," Rick raises an eyebrow.

"Something like that," she sighs.

She thought about the man on the phone, about her coming to Jersey for the weekend. But she knew that even if it was possible, she would do anything to avoid it. And by anything, she would literally make up the biggest lie in the world to avoid going there. Just anything that would get her out of that place full of broken dreams and memories.

There was a sudden rush of emotions in Sierra, causing her to lunge forwards and grab the collar of Rick's white t-shirt from across the table, yanking him towards her. Their noses grazed each other, with both their breaths mingling. His eyes flickered down to her mouth before looking back at her eyes.

She hesitantly looked up at him. The swirls of emotion she saw there made her gasp inside: lust and desire. However, before she could ponder about it further, he yanked her to him and covered her mouth with his in a hungry kiss.

As their lips crushed together, she felt like she was walking on air. She wouldn't go as far as saying that it was magic, but the way his lips connected with hers made her forget about everything. Her mouth was so warm, the caress of her lips softer than he could have imagined and he opened my mouth with a low groan.

As soon as his hand reached for the hem of her shirt, her own hand had made its way to his chest. She splayed her fingers against his pectoral muscles, pushing him off her gently.

She rested her forehead on his, her nose slightly pink and her cheeks flushed, muttering "I'm sorry."

He was at a complete lost for words, which was usual around her, "It's-It's alright."

He flexed his jaw slightly as she withdrew her head back away from him. There was a sudden loss of body heat, making Sierra pull up her black cardigan that was uncannily draped over her shoulder.

She let's out a small breath, then get's up, "I should get going..."

He clears his throat, nervously, "Yeah, me too."

"We've got to get up early and, uh, start that search for your girl in the morning."

Through the whole few minutes they were invading each other's spaces, Rick didn't even think about June Moon, it was as if her and everything else had disappeared.