Prologue - Sadie Arleen the Last Chosen

• Dedicated to All my friends who supported me

The bus screeched to a halt, the suspension lowered the vehicle so that I could step off the platform and wave the driver goodbye. My footsteps echoed across the empty street. The sound reached no one though. Despite my happiness I knew the silence would only be for moments. I sighed deeply as exhaustion rocked my body. The bus stop bench looked comfortable at this point. I couldn't stay, not for a moment. The cost was too high if I was caught. The IRBF were more ruthless than we thought. A villainous group in suits, sponsored by wealthy benefactors who were part of many Earth Governments.

I walked down the concrete pathway. The streetlamps flashing so that the now subdued yellow light flickers to a halt with moonlight lighting up the town alone.

Tap, Tap, Tap. The heels I'm wearing screech loudly at the touch of the pavement. The loudness scares me as I walk past a street sign.

My backpack weighs me down, the straps digging into my shoulders as I exit the 24/7 7-11 store. I shouldn't have been on camera, they'll track me, but I walk out snack in hand.

I began running again it wasn't going to make a difference but I needed to find a phone-box. I knew one was around here somewhere it was certainly hiding from me. I run down the next street with a smile, my keen eye had found one sitting there. Almost as if it were mocking my attempts to escape. But I had a plan when I gave my ticket to another person then exited the airport in search of another means of escape it would take them a longer time to find me, not a lot. Not enough in hindsight but it was all I had.

I pulled out the phone and dialled up the taxi service told them where I wanted to go and where I was now, they replied that a cab was coming for me. I was so happy I almost cried.

* * * *

The cab came squealing down the tarmac, it slowed and parked in front of me. I grabbed the door handle and pulled it open sliding onto the seat. With seatbelt on I told the driver to go. It was going to be a few hours so I rested me head against the window and closed my eyes to the lights in the sky and tried to think which ships would be going past earth at the moment...

* * * *

The winding turns didn't wake me, or the bumps in the road but when the car abruptly stopped pushing me forward I blinked. My eyes laced with sleep, my hands sweating the nightmare still playing in my mind. I shook my head the nightmare fading.

"Why have we stopped?" I asked.

"You were yelling and screaming, was it a nightmare or my bad driving?" the driver asked a spin of humour however it did not mask the frightened look in his eyes.

"Nightmare sorry works been depriving me of a proper sleep and family problems been bothering me," I lied. It came easily now, undercover work hid your true motives.

"Ok let's go then," and with that he started the engine again and did not talk to me again, I must have radiated psycho-ness. My eyes dropped again but I didn't sleep I thought about everything that had happened to get here. The worthlessness which drove me to the assignment. Purpose again. I had gone everywhere in search of information, across the star systems and had found out that they were stronger than we first thought. The IRBF they were looking for us. My race. They were looking for the Citali, chosen and next generations.

I shuddered at the thought they would never get us at our home planet but here on earth where they had strength we were vulnerable. The notes and information I had found would clear up their motives but it wouldn't be safe to open them now. A bump in the road made me slam my head into the window breaking my concentration and drawing my attention to the side view mirror which displayed a group of cars. I looked more closely and noticed a small IRBF gate passes on the windshield of the cars.

"How long do we have until we get to the airport?" I asked.

"Not too long now only about an hour, when does your plane arrive?" he asked.

"I'll have time to spare don't worry but do you reckon we could go a bit faster I was planning on going for lunch with a friend before I left," I replied. I could almost hear his brain whirring, should I speed up, is there a shortcut, would I disappoint the customer.

"I can get you there in about 45-50 minutes," he said.

"Excellent, let's go," I replied quickly the sound of the cars chasing us getting closer a looming beast about to swallow us whole. As the car sped we began to gain distance between them for a short while, but it would not be enough.

Both cars began to gain speed. The raggedy mountain side began to pass us by. A lone highway. They drove past wheels burning up tarmac, sparks flying across the road. They whizzed past us the wind rocked the taxi.

"What is with this?! Speeding drivers, we weren't even going that slow!" he yelled at our pursuers.

A siren began behind us multiple cop cars driving towards us. The driver paused then went to the side of the road as if to make way for the speeding blur of blue and red. They didn't drive past us instead slowed and pulled up behind us. One of them pulled up beside us.

"Pull over immediately!" the policeman yells at us. I cowered in the seat. The driver pulls over the side the police and IRBF cars pull over and I see the perfect opening.

"Drive the car straight right now or you won't see the light of day," I scream whisper to the cab driver. His face had noticeably paled his eyes fearful. Then the car sped off into the distance.

We drove down the straight then I glimpsed a turn off in the nearing distance.

"Pull over there we need to take this of the road!" I yell as the bullets begin to tear through the car. The car swivels slightly one of the bullets – I suspect – has wedged itself into the tyre. The driver struggles to gain control. We turn down the road the engine roaring, the tyres squealing, hands gripping the door handles.

"Pull up, pull up!" I scream before the car rolls over. I'm screaming so loud it hurts my throat and I hear the driver's deep screech coming from the front seat. Smoke. Fire. Blood. The smell is toxic burning my nose. We stop moving and I scream out in frustration, pain and even regret because I see the police and the IRBF cars surrounding us...

But the information I have found needs to be sent back to HQ. I try to think quickly but my head is spinning and I think I feel blood trickling down my leg. I close my eyes and breath 'don't think that Sadie no'. The only way to send is my power the one that rendered me unconscious for several hours. I sigh inwardly and focus my energy on home. I think about the data collecting laptops near the gateway. I think of the information I stole in my backpack. Then I blink. A burst of energy shoots in the sky, a stream of glowing memory particles flying into the sky like a firework display. The sight makes me smile before I close my eyes, my consciousness fading to the sound of gunshots...

* * * *

FATAL CRASH ROUTE 50, NEVADA LINKED TO STOLEN INFORMATION

A cab driver and passenger have died in speeding car crash. The IRBF were pleased to say that the information stolen had not been delivered but was destroyed in the crash. Investigators are still looking for information regarding the crime. Police are encouraging people with information about the crime and crash to come forward for interrogation. The IRBF are keen to have this case resolved and informants will be paid handsomely.