Fourteen

The rest of the team left, Hotch giving you strict instructions not to leave the building under any circumstances. You stood up to move to Penelope office, or her bat cave as you referred to it grabbing your lap top bag and phones.

“Y/N?” Penelope seemed hesitant.

“Hmmmmm?”

“Can I hug you….. It’s more for me than you. I just really need a hug right now.”

You looked at her and she’d never looked so lost and small in all the time you’d known her.

You pulled her into a quick hug feeling her grasp you tightly, hearing her sniffling.“I’m so sorry” she whispered quietly pulling back after a moment or two. When she did you smiled at her and she gave you a watery grin back.

“To the bat cave Pen?“

She nodded. “To the bat cave.”
…….

By the time the team regrouped again at 10pm that evening, the bat cave and meeting room had been transformed.

The boards were covered in photos of the four crime scenes, yours included. You were working hard to emotionally detach yourself as much as you could but seeing the photos of your old room, blood and glass splattered everywhere on the floor had caused you to vomit again. That was earlier though, and you were holding it together now.

Joshua Canes photo had been circulated amongst the team, as well as photos that Garcia had put together of him with different hair colors and various facial accessories as you all had to assume that he would have tried to alter his appearance. It had shocked you seeing the picture of him taken on his release day from prison, nine years had barely aged him at all.

The boards contained any new information that the team had managed to garner, calling in to you and Garcia every so often.

Victim number three Kelly Casey had been stabbed 14 times as you’d thought, but she hadn’t been sexually assaulted. Her boyfriend Paul Matthews also hadn’t been stabbed at all, but had been shot point blank in the head execution style, meaning Cane had a firearm.

The ME hadn’t been able to tell who had been killed first but given that Pauls clothing was covered in cast off that matched Kellys blood type, the assumption was that he’d been made to watch and then killed after.

Both Rossi and Hotch had commented that Cane seemed to be making a point that if he couldn’t have you, then no one else could, and that thought chilled you to your bones.

The couple had last been seen around 11pm leaving a party with their friends and had chosen to walk home, not living far. None of the routes that they would logically have taken home would have taken them via Catton Park, so it was thought that they’d been abducted along the way, which meant Cane had to have some form of transportation.

The second victim Kennedy Marshall had been last seen at 10pm leaving her local gym, which also turned out to be the same gym that you and Spencer had been using. Her car had been located in a side street not far away, as she’d been using a day pass rather than a members pass so didn’t have on site parking privileges.

Her body had been discovered the following morning at 5am by a garbage disposal truck that was collecting from the restaurant. The garbage men had both had alibis that checked out so hadn’t been considered suspects originally.

Derek had spoken to the owners of the restaurant and had shown them yours and Reids pictures along with the various pictures of Cane that Penelope had provided. He recognised you and Reid but hadn’t recognised Cane. He did recall another English guy coming in around the last time you and Reid had visited but he didn’t stay, only asking for a menu and then leaving. The owner couldn’t provide a description though, only remembering the accent.