I watched the elder woman as she poured hot chocolate into the mug in front of me. The steam evaporated in the air and the sweet smell flew right into my nose. A small smile made its way to my face as I suddenly couldn't wait to drink the warm sweetness.

I thanked the woman and she smiled in return.

I allowed the cup to sit and cool off, instead of grabbing it and drinking it like I wanted to do. My taste buds will only end up being burnt if I did so.

Keiara sipped her pumpkin latte coffee while regarding the many people and their children outside. Just across the street from us was the pumpkin patch that a local family here opened every year in September for the public. Last year Keiara and I came to this same local diner, but with a few other people who we no longer talk to. After this, we'll cross the street, that's closed to cars, and go to the pumpkin patch. Autumn has got to be my favorite season.

It's so strange how autumn is so beautiful, yet everything is dying.

Sipping my now cool hot chocolate, I stared out at the autumn leaves that were falling to the ground ever so gently. Beautiful things always seem to fall.

I don't understand how God allows that, but I'm not God, so I'll never understand. I'll never understand until I go through the gates.

"Aw look, they brought out the pumpkin man." Keiara cooed.

My eyes left the falling leafs and diverted to the man who was dressed in a giant pumpkin outfit. All the kids, except one, ran over to him with bright smiles on their faces. The one kid who didn't go had a frown on his face.

"I'd be that one kid right there." I chuckled. "I was scared of Chuck E. Cheese so I'd damn sure be scared of that giant pumpkin."

Keiara allowed a light laugh to escape her lips. I laughed along with her and took a bite of my black cat shaped cookie.

"You're still up for the bonfire tonight, right?" She raised an eyebrow. "Although he will be there."

"I'll be fine." I waved her off. "I don't care about him anymore."

"You found a new boo boo?" She smirked.

"Uh, no." I laughed. "If these guys keep acting mad crazy I'll just fuck around and date a girl."

"Okay, same." She nodded in agreement.

But I'm dead ass. Guys are just so hypocritical and judgmental. But I also don't like being 'held down'. Being in a relationship doesn't mean the male should have control over you, but that seems to be what other females want. I have no idea why, but I'm completely okay with being independent.

After we finished our drinks and dessert we paid for our things and went across the street.

Oh, it's a long, long while
From May to December
But the days grow short,
When you reach September.
When the autumn weather
Turn leaves to flame
One hasn't got time
For the waiting game.

The soft melody played through the speakers as Keiara and I walked through the many rows of pumpkins. I wanted to pick out just the perfect ones to carve and bake. Or attempt to bake.

Oh the days dwindle down
To a precious few . . .
September, November . . .
And these few precious days
I'll spend with you.
These precious days
I'll spend with you.

"Oh the days dwindle down." An old woman sung as she held her husband's hands.

I smiled as I took a quick glance at the two of them.