Chapter 2

Hey guys! Sorry I took forever to write this chapter. There were some...complications, but don't worry. I'm back to finish what I started. ^_^

Enjoy - Noemi

Chapter 2

Today is the first day of college. I was walking to Starbucks to go meet my two best friends, Scott and Stiles. They had gone back to their families when it was summer vacation and had invited me to come along but I felt like I was going to intrude so instead I stayed on campus. Scott and Stiles families were so close I kind of envied them. I will never know how it feels to bring another family over to share meals and stories.

My dad was an alcoholic. So you can see why people don't want to be around him and his rude remarks. I don't even know how my mom had tolerated him all those years in his drunk estate. He would always abuse her, push her around, and basically treated her like his own personal slave but she said, "If you love someone, you should never give up on them." Me, on the other hand, would've given up right away. My dad seemed to think so to because he divorced my mom when I was a Freshman in high school. I don't know why, but I didn't care, as long as my mom didn't have to put up with him anymore. I've never seen him since and if he is still drinking, I don't want to. That's probably why I don't like people who drink excessively or do drugs.

Why would I date someone who would die before we even got serious?

My mom, though, died when I was a junior in high school. She had cancer for 5 years but we didn't even know about it until the year my mom and dad divorced. Is it bad that I wished my dad had the cancer instead of my mom? I don't, I think it's fair. She's always been there for me and he never was. Anyways, I lived with my aunt but she was never fond of kids so she was never at her house. Then again, I never was either. I would always be with Scott and Stiles.

They're my family now and I couldn't ask for anything better. I remember the day they told me they both got accepted to SU. That was the happiest day of my life, to know that we were going to go to the same college. SU is what brought us together in high school in the first place.

*Flashback*

"Ok class, since you are all juniors you need to start thinking about your future and that includes what college you want to go to. Now, I'm going to pass out a slip of paper and your going to write down what college you have in mind and what you plan to major in. When your done you're going to present what you wrote to the class. You have 3 minutes so get started."

I don't understand why we have to do this. It has nothing to do with English, Mr. Washington just wants to embarrass us on our first week of school.

I knew exactly what college I was going to go to. I'm going to Stanford University. That was, and still is, my dream college. I can't picture myself going anywhere else. I also plan to major in English considering how that was my best subject and I really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed Shakespeare! Every time I read one of his poems or plays, I get so engrossed that I never seem to be able to pull myself back into the real world. Shakespeare is amazing and when people fall asleep on his poems or any of his writings I just want to clench my fists and stick it-

"Samantha," I jumped up in my seat when Mr. Washington yelled my name. "It's your turn to present." My turn? I haven't even noticed we started.

I got up from my seat and headed to the front of the class. The whole way there I kept repeating in my head, this is ridiculous!

I'm not really big on speaking in public which would explain my nervousness. I reached the front of the classroom and I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. I tried again but still...nothing. Everyone looked bored and I couldn't blame them. I wouldn't want to listen to me either.