Chapter 17

"Take a breath. You'll be okay, even if you don't feel okay all the time." —Louis C.K.

17

Today he felt like he wanted to face him. Like he wanted to talk to him. That maybe, he has enough strength to finally make way for a little understanding.

While walking on the hallways of their house, he could feel his knees trembling. It felt too familiar and he was not liking it at all. As if a cold mist welcomed him inside his old room. When he opened it, nothing has changed, like it was just yesterday when he left.

Every part of this house, the whole of this room, even the tiny little details inscribed on the walls, contain memories, kahit saan siya tumingin, marami siyang naaalala. They once had a perfect family, now it's all but gone.

Flashback

"Toy! Anong ginagawa mo?"

His blanket was currently wrapped in his body, he was walking, pretending to be in a catwalk in his gown while his best friend, Angel, proudly claps and laughs at what he was doing. Bata pa lang ay magkaibigan na ang dalawa, magkababata. She was friends with Echo too but since he is older than them at mas nauna itong mag-college ay mas lagi niyang nakakasama si Jose. She was the first one to know that Jose is gay, she always encourage him to come out and not be scared dahil ang katwiran niya, mabuting tao naman si Jose and she's sure that people will love him for what he is regardless his gender. He was just too scared sa kung ano man ang magiging reaction ng Daddy niya. They all know he was his favorite.

When he heard his brother's voice ay para siyang binuhusan ng malamig na yelo at mabilis na naialis ang kumot sa katawan.

"Eh kasi eh! Eto naman kasing si Angel kasi eh! Pinagtitripan nanaman ako!"

He saw Angel roll her eyes so he mouthed 'sorry' at her.

"Hay nako. I'll go ahead na nga. You know what?you two should talk." She just said and quickly went out the room after tapping both boys on their back.

"Ano yun Toy?" Tanong ni Jericho pagkatapos na humiga sa kama ng kapatid at pumikit pa. He was just cool about it.

"We were just playing. Si Gel kasi ang kulit—"

"You can tell me bunso. Come on." Sabi niya sa kapatid niya, nang hindi niya marinig na sumagot si Jose ay binuksan na niya ang isa niyang mata at sinilip ang katabi.

"Pssst! Ano?" He asked his little brother again.

"Anong ano ba?" Kinakabahan na sagot ni Jose.

"Are you gay?" Diretsahan na tanong na lang ni Jericho.

Jose didn't answer. Hindi niya alam kung bakit hindi siya makasagot. He's practiced this a lot of times before pero wala pa rin, natahimik pa rin siya after he was asked by his Kuya. Bigla na lang siyang umiyak, dala na rin siguro ng takot at ng hiya sa Kuya niya na laging napapaaway sa eskwela para lang ipagtanggol siya sa mga taong tinutukso siyang bakla.

"Parang gago to. Bakit ka ba umiiyak! Halika nga!" His Kuya tackled him hard causing him to hit the dashboard. Nagtawanan na lang silang magkapatid.