05 ➵ fox

Silveena

We've climbed a tree. A tall, big tree. We've gone high enough for where the wolves wouldn't notice us. We've rubbed snow and branches on ourselves to make our scent distant. I only hope it works.

"Silvie... I'm scared of heights." I hear Misha's voice shiver. His head pops out my satchel and looks down at the distance from where we are to the ground.

"It's okay, Misha. We'll be down soon. Right now, we have to stay quiet, do you understand?" He parts his eyes from the ground and looks at me. He nods and tucks inside the satchel. I climb higher and reach to a thick branch that is just on my eye level. I pull myself up with the help of Peter pulling me by my arm. I fix myself next to him as I grip my satchel.

I notice Susan struggling to climb. I hold out my hand for her in hopes she notices it. She quickly does and stares at my hand for a second and glances up at me. Just take it, Susan. We haven't much time.

To my surprise, she grabs it and I help pull her up. She sits right next to me and gives me quick, awkward glance and smile. Right under her is Lucy. Susan pulls her up and has her sit close to her.

The wolves break out the barrels and see only the fox standing there alone. They begin to surround him and growl. If I'm being honest, I feel scared for the fox. He's risking his life in covering for us— this could really badly for him.

"Greetings, gents. Lost something, have we?" The fox knows what he's doing. And I, for sure, know that he knows that the wolves are not going to buy whatever he tells them.

"Don't patronize me!" Maugrim snaps his canines. "I know where your allegiance lies. We are looking for some humans." He says, getting straight the point.

"Humans? Here in Narnia? Well, that's a valuable bit of information, don't you think?" The fox says cooly. I know he's just teasing them, and I just hope nothing too bad comes from it. Maugrim knows he's being teased, and from the looks of it, he's getting annoyed and impatient.

Another wolf grabs the fox by its neck making Lucy and Mrs. Beaver almost cry out, but they were shushed by Susan and Mrs Beaver.

"Your reward is your life. It's not much... But still. Where are the fugitives?" Maugrim asks sternly. I feel my body slowly slip forward. Damn this fur coat and it's silk interior! The first thing I grab for support is Peter's arm. He notices that I'm in need of assistance and places his arm around my waist. He slowly and carefully pulls me up, trying to make no noise. I hold onto him tightly as he grips himself on me.

We look back down at the scene. The fox quickly glances up at us and then puts his full attention back to the wolves. I can tell that he's in pain from the grip on his neck. I wish we could do something. I just hope the wolves still don't suspect anything. And I hope our trust on the fox is reliable. I'd really hate if we were set up. My heart pounds out of my chest. Before I start panicking, I hold my breath.

"North," the fox pants out, "they ran north." I silently and slowly let go of my breath. Thank you.

"Smell them out!" Maugrim orders the other wolves. The wolf that has a hold of the fox then throws him making him whimper. Then, they leave.

I jump down the tree and immediately hear a crack from my ankle. I look at it and adjust myself. I didn't feel anything. I can't fee anything with this crown on. I shake it off.