10. Move On The Castle

Start from the beginning

Hershel's fears were proved true, and he was glad to know Clive had used Hershel's cover to find a hiding spot. He had no idea of Clive's true intentions, but he wanted to give the young man a chance to explain himself. If he proved to be trouble, well, Chelmey wouldn't be far behind.

"I'm afraid we have not seen him, Inspector, but we'll be sure to contact you if we do."

Flora and Dimitri frowned, looking to him with narrowed eyes. He flashed them a look - a simple one, that told them clearly of his intentions. They remained quiet then.

"I somehow doubt that..." Chelmey muttered, scratching at his chin. "But as I can't see him here now, I'll have to let you off. For now! I'll be sure to keep a close eye on you! You're a crafty fellow, Layton. A good one, but one surrounded in mysteries has got to be hiding a few of his own."

"Perhaps you are right, Inspector." Hershel grinned. "Do tell me if you find him. I'd like to have a word with him." Raising his voice, he cast his eyes about, noticing a tuft of hair sticking out from atop a nearby hedge. He raised his voice, making sure to emphasise his last few words. "If he is seeking me out, it must be for a very good reason."

Eyebrows raised, Chelmey opened his mouth to say something, decided against it and shook his head. Turning briskly, he stormed off, barking at Barton to keep up. Barton almost stumbled after him, and he gave a quick wave to the three over his shoulder. Flora waved back.

"If I was worried about certain people searching for me..." Hershel said aloud, to no one in particular, though all those present were aware of his real intention. "Then I would know that it is safe to leave the nest and re-join the flock."

There was a few moments of silence as nothing happened, and then the hedge shook, Clive stumbling out, leaves clicking to his shorts and blazer. The blazer was a darker navy, and the shorts more brown than maroon, but the similarity to Luke's attire was clear and striking.

"Thank... thank you for that, Professor. I feared you would give me away..."

"I would never do that, Luke.'

"Sorry?"

Hershel frowned and then realised his grave error.

"I do apologise... It is just your appearance. If you were wearing the cap still, I would have more easily mistaken you for Luke from the start."

Dimitri looked at the Professor worriedly. Was the boy still on his mind at all times?

"Well.. You sort of did..." He chuckled lightly.

"I do wonder why you're still dressed like before." Flora stated, gesturing at Clive's clothes.

"Oh... These clothes are a bit different, but I suppose I grew used to the getup, attached even. Like they're a part of me. You could even say it's a reminder of the Professor and his amazing assistant... That reminds me, where is young Luke now?"

Hershel gritted his teeth and stared at the ground. Dimitri stepped forward quickly and smiled weakly.

"Luke has left to live with his father for a little while. It's best if you leave it there..."

"It's a shame... I wanted to show him a few tricks that he would have found useful..."

"Tricks?" Hershel muttered, looking back up once more.

"Oh, yes. I wanted to teach him how to solve puzzles with ease. It would have-"

"I can teach him to do that!" Hershel snapped suddenly. It wasn't quite a yell, but there was an edge to his voice that was foreign and unlike him.