Prologue: The Lost Future

In a quiet London alley, a lone lamppost cast its light, revealing three unwelcome figures. Well, only one of them was unwelcome. A woman out of her time.

The remaining two figures, a heartbroken Professor and his ever-loyal apprentice stood silent, words betraying them.

Luke leaned against the wall, head bowed, silently preparing himself for a farewell unlike any other. But he would be there, for the Prof... For his friend.

The time-lost woman, Claire, finally raised her head and smiled warmly at the Professor.

"I suppose this is it, Hershel." She turned slightly, now facing the Professor, her smile slipping. As she spoke, she closed her eyes, aware of the terrible weight her words carried. "I have to go back to my own time. Back to that day when... we parted."

"No, Claire. " Hershel's voice cracked, splintered until it was a pale imitation of the strength he so fervently possessed.

Claire approached Hershel, placing her arms on his chest. The Professor returned the gesture, resting his hands on her shoulders, not quite gripping tight, for his strength had left him.

"I'm sorry. I can't stay." The two embraced, remembering nights by the fire, hugging not just to stay warm, but to feel the other, to know they always had each other through times of hurt, through times of suffering, but most importantly, through everything good and wonderful in this world.

Claire's eyes met his, and she grinned, a powerful grin, yet one that spoke volumes of the pain beneath.

And then they kissed, a meeting of lips denied for too many years. In the lonely, frosted London morning, this kiss was their moment, no intruder able to disturb the sanctity of this reclaimed love.  

She pulled her hands away hesitantly, aware of her predicament, yet fighting even so. Hershel's eyes winced and he opened his mouth in lament. If Luke had been watching, he would surely have been surprised. As it was, he heard their embrace, the collision of lips, and he kept a solemn gaze at the ground. Imagination told not of the pain he knew his friend was facing.

Claire turned, walking away, her steps all too slow, dragging out the time they had left. Her eyes remained shut, to keep out the tears, to be strong when she knew she could not be right now.

"CLAIRE, WAIT!"

Blinking her eyes open, she paused, unable to find that smile, the beacon he so desperately needed. She needed it too, but the time for hiding was over. From now on, there was to be no deception or pillars to hold to. She would be true to herself, to the reality she now accepted.

Turning to meet him, she felt an indescribable hum course through her stomach, all around her until every part of her tingled with some unknowable power. Radiance emanated from her body, a thousand glittering lights enveloping her. This was it. She raised her hands as if holding something that wasn't there. Could not be there. Holding her lost dreams.

"We had... so many," she wept, dropping her arms, embracing the hardest fight of her life. "plans for the future. You won't forget, will you?" It was too late. Tears sprang to her eyes, no longer her false strength.  "Our shared past... and our... lost future."

Hershel felt his heart breaking and could not hold his calm manner in check any longer.

"You can't go!" Claire gasped and Hershel became more furious. "I don't want to say goodbye again! I CAN'T! I WON'T!"

"I know you... and I know you'll stay strong. After all... that's what a gentleman does!" Hershel's eyes glistened as she repeated the line he had said so many times to her. "I must go now, Hershel. Thank you for everything.

"Goodbye!" 

She turned and made her departure, her steps slow, measured. Each step broke Hershel's heart that one bit more, another blow he felt he could never quite recover from. He looked at her, examining every feature, always to remember this moment. Then she disappeared around the corner, and he knew this was it. No doubt, no deception. Just a plain, and terrible truth.

Luke glanced up from his position against the wall, his own wall of strength failing him.

"Hey...?" At the sight of her departure, he stood up quickly and sprinted after her, ragged breaths trailing him.

Reaching the corner, he drew to a halt, devastated to find only darkness. 

"She's gone!" Luke cried. Hershel, carrying the same expression of lament, did not appear to hear what he had said. As a gentleman, he snapped out of his gaze and turned, walking a few steps, not wanting Luke to see the warm tears that were now falling freely from his eyes.

He raised his head as snow began to fall. Now his whimpering could be heard clearly down the empty alley and Luke stifled a cry of shock as the Professor removed his legendary top hat and held it to his chest. Hershel stared into the sky for a great deal of time, his lost future bound to him, shaping him ever so.

Tipping his hat, Luke left the Professor in silence, only returning some time later, as the snow's fall blanketed London in a welcome picture of white. A beautiful sight, yet they couldn't freeze to death here.

As Luke shook the Professor's shoulder, Hershel snapped out of his daze and appeared lost, his eyes only now falling on Luke. His lips twitched, ever so slightly, a pale mockery of a smile, and he placed an arm on his apprentice's shoulder.

"Let's go, shall we?"

*****

The horn of the ship blared, signalling the end of a journey. Not the ship's journey, for that had not yet begun. No, it was the end of an amazing journey for Professor Layton and his number one apprentice: Luke Triton.

Neither of the two had said anything yet. Now that their time was at an end... Luke's father wished to get away from the madness his son had been involved with, trailing along after Hershel Layton, battling great evils that no young boy should ever have to face. Clark Triton hadn't said as much, only spoke of a job overseas, though Hershel knew the real reason. There had been no such exchange, yet still Hershel knew. And he accepted this. It really was for the best that Luke moved on. At least, he kept telling himself that.

Luke sat up from his spot on his trunk and spoke, his voice holding back the tears that were surely to come.

"I guess this... is goodbye." Luke had not looked up, afraid that looking at the Professor would start the waterfall. Hershel only smiled, an echo of the pillars Claire held for him.

"Oh no, my boy. This is so long. Not goodbye."

Luke's strength, however, had failed him. His tears fell freely, and he began to snivel.

"Now, Luke." Hershel warned. "You know a gentleman never... makes a scene in public."

Luke turned, facing the professor, no longer afraid of letting him see his great tears.

"I'm sorry, Professor, but I'm not a gentleman yet." He ran towards Hershel, breaking down. Throwing his arms around his greatest friend, he held tight, refusing to let up.

Stunned, Hershel felt great pride.

"There, there." He shifted his hat and scrunched his eyes. When he opened them, tears had already formed. So long, Luke... He thought with a smile of pride. I shall see you one day. On that day, you will have solved many puzzles and gone on many adventures and I will be so proud of you. You are a gentleman, Luke. Don't ever tell yourself that you are not. You are a true gentleman!

*****

The ship had departed, Hershel a solitary figure on the docks.

Not until the ship has crested the horizon did he turn, smiling as he approached his ever-trust Laytonmobile.

Memories. That was all he had of this car. Warm memories of those he shared in adventures with. He was seldom alone, yet now he accepted that reality.

Except...

He wasn't quite alone. Not really. He had a daughter waiting for him at home.

Yes, he thought pleasantly. A new chapter awaits.