23

This chapter is super lame, whatever BUT it's the second-to-last chapter so...yeah!
---
I went from having nothing, to having more money than I knew what to do with. Seriously, after I cashed my check, I sat on the curb of the bank, holding the envelope of cash in my hand, not knowing what to do next. How could my dad just drop this large amount of money on me like this?

I sighed, standing up and beginning back to Vic's house. He would be home soon and I needed to get there before him and figure out a way into the house that didn't involve that hellish tree.

When I got back to the house, a rush of relief hit me when I saw that there were no cars in the driveway. I smiled to myself and entered the house, not even questioning why it was unlocked.

"Dad?" I heard being called out, immediately, scaring the crap out of me.

"Vic?" I called back, assuming it was him.

I followed his voice into the kitchen. He was making toast at 4 in the afternoon. When he saw me, he smiled. I wondered where his car was. Maybe I just didn't see it before.

"Hey, I just got home and... what the heck happened to your face!?" He asked, instantly. God, dammit. Stupid, attention-calling Band-Aid.

"Oh, nothing...I just." I was fumbling my words. I couldn't even come up with a legitimate lie.

"Okay, how about you don't lie to me," He said, snarky, taking a bite from his toast.

"I cut myself on your tree." I sighed, reaching for the other toast he had made.

"And what is that supposed to mean?" He questioned with a brow.

"I sort of left the house, but I had to sneak out the window from your bedroom because your parents were home."

"My rooms on the second floor!" He exclaimed, his eyes wild.

"I know right." I shook my head, still not understanding how I didn't brake anything.

"So where did you go?" He asked. He said it so casually, but I knew he meant it as so much more. He just wanted to know if I had been good, which I had been.

I still didn't know if I should tell Vic about the money or not. I wasn't sure how he would react to it, but I also couldn't bare to lie to him.

Vic leaned against the counter with bread in his mouth and his head tilted, slightly. I exhaled, heavily and pulled the envelope from where I had tucked it away in my pants, mainly because it wouldn't fit anywhere else and because I didn't want to get mugged. I took the envelope with the money and handed it to him. He furrowed his brows, placed his toast down, and dusted off his hands before taking it from me. I watched anxiously as he opened it and his eyes grew.

"What did you do!?" He asked, panicked.

"Calm down, I didn't do anything." I told him, taking the money back. "My dad gave it to me."

"How? When?" He asked.

"When we visited yesterday. He snuck the check into my jacket." I explained.

"How much is it?"

"10 grand." I answered, plainly."

"Jesus," he spoke, but immediately apologized, like I was Jesus and offended.