Chapter 2 - Fireworks

Start from the beginning

"No! We were asleep, and he just-" Mark started defensively.

"Just drop it, whatever." Jack sighed, laying his hand on Mark's knee.

----------

"Look at this bad ass sword!" Jack picked up a giant sword from the counter.

"We had a couple of those last year, they light up like Roman candles, they're awesome." Mark grabbed another sword firework and looked at the price.

"So do you hold them or do you light them up from the ground?" Jack gently hit his sword against Mark's, trying not to set off the firework.

"You hold it, but you can't sword fight with other people." Mark held the sword and continued to look at the display of fireworks. Jack followed Mark, continuously goofing off with his sword and hitting it against Mark's.

"Hey, hey Mark." Jack snickered.

"What?" Mark turned back to Jack.

"We're sword fighting." Jack snickered.

"Stop it." Mark laughed and handed Jack a few other fireworks.

"Are you guys ready to go?" Tom asked the two man children.

"Yeah, did Aunt Clarissa already buy hers?" Mark asked.

"You know she buys fireworks weeks ahead." Tom rolled his eyes and led the other two to the cash register.

Jack didn't pay attention to any fireworks Tom bought. He looked at all the colorful fireworks that lined the shelves, then he saw them.

'Ladybugs, that's what they're called...' Jack thought, staring at the package. 'Why would anyone light those? They always go wrong. Maybe only two out of each package will actually launch correctly. They hurt so bad...' Jack could feel his breath start to stutter, but someone broke him out of his daze.

"Hey, Jack, put the stuff on the counter." Mark asked as he pulled out his wallet. Jack carefully set down the fireworks and waited for the cashier to ring them up. Mark payed for the fireworks, and they followed Tom back to the car.

"I'm so close to one million subscribers, and YouTube just recently emailed me a job offer. Isn't that insane? I can literally play video games and record videos for a living, that would be so cool!" Mark told his brother excitedly. Jack listened to Mark and stared out the window, watching the sunset. He had heard Mark fanboy a thousand times over YouTube before, but he could listen to it forever. Jack loved hearing Mark talk about something he was so passionate about; Mark's happiness and smile was always just so contagious to him, and he loved it.

"Bring the fireworks up to the cement block up there, we'll launch fireworks on that." Aunt Clarissa told Tom as soon as he stopped out of the car. Everyone was already outside, goofing off and waiting for the fireworks to start.

Jack stepped out of the car and was immediately hit with a wave of dizziness. He felt sick to his stomach, and his nose burned.

"Oh, you got the swords! Tannyr and McKenna love those!" Aunt Clarissa told Jack as soon as she saw the fireworks in his arms. Her breath smelled sour and she held a foul smelling drink in her hand. Jack nodded and quickly rushed to set the fireworks down, away from Clarissa.

He came back to the house, and there was Nathan, Jason, and Aaron, standing in a triangle and drinking out of black beer bottles. Jack quickly and quietly went inside. He tried to steady himself and not get sick.

"Baby, you alright?" Mark walked in.

"Huh? Uh, yeah..." Jack sighed. "Fine."

"If you're not, you can tell me." Mark wrapped his arms around Jack's waist and pulled him close.