Chapter 1

Life throws so many curveballs to you. It's like all that life is, is some roller coaster that just never ends. It has it's ups and downs; surprises; tragedies; memories; and so much more. As I sit on this bathroom floor with my head in my hands and a white stick on the floor in front of me, I realize that life is something that will forever be crazy and unexpected. 

I'm pregnant, if you couldn't already tell. My name is Kaitlynn Baker and I'm a 17 year old senior. I never expected this for myself, never. And yet, here I am, on the bathroom floor with a pregnancy test that says positive sitting right in front of me. 

There's a child inside of me. A little baby boy or girl. A little bit of me and a little bit of Jake, my boyfriend. 

So many emotions rush through me as I sit in the quiet house with tears streaming down my face. My life is never going to be the same. I had hopes and dreams that have just suddenly gone down the drain. And Jake? He has a full ride scholarship to a college all the way across the country, how can he let that go? Senior year has just barely started, and my life is going to be worse than it ever has before. 

But most of all, how am I going to tell Jake? Or my parents? What about my friends? Will I still have friends once they find this out? 

Like I said, life is unexpected, but sometimes you just have to buckle up and let the roller coaster we call life take you through the expected and the unexpected. 

&&&&

"Jake?" I say into the phone. 

"Hey baby girl, what's wrong?" He asks, concern lacing through his voice.

"Can you meet me in the park as soon as possible?" 

"Yes, I'm on my way. Are you okay?" 

"I'll tell you when I get there." 

"Okay, be safe." 

"You too." 

We hang up and I grab my car keys and walk to my car and drive to the park. 

Jake is already there when I get there, sitting in his car. As soon as he sees me, he jumps out of the car. 

"What's wrong?" He asks me, wiping away the tears that are now falling. 

"You're going to hate me. Everyone is." I tell him, looking at the ground. 

He puts his hand under my chin and lifts it up to make me look into his eyes.

"I could never hate you, no matter what. I love you." 

I take the pregnancy test out of my pocket and put it in his hands, then look away.

The sound of plastic hitting the ground fills my ears. At first, it's silent. Then he turns me towards him and pulls me into his arms. 

"It's going to be okay. I promise." Is all he says and for some reason, it makes me cry even harder. 

He holds me in his strong arms for a long time and then when I know that it's time, I pull away. 

"I want to keep it. I know that I am a senior and I know that we have so much ahead of us and I know that you have a great scholarship you can take, and I don't want to be selfish, but this is our child. I can't give our child up or abort it. I want to take care of it. And if you don't want it to ruin your life, you can leave now. I just want to let you know that I plan on keeping it." I tell him. 

He grabs my face gently and I look into his eyes. 

"I don't care about the scholarship Kaitlynn. What I care about is us. And this baby. I will do everything in my power to make sure that this baby and you have an amazing life. Whether you like it or not, you and I are in this together. I love you so much and I always will. Always.."