The Mark of Athena

Hey guys I just finished reading the Heroes of Olympus Books and so far, I haen't ben able to put them down! So Since the next book won't be out for a litle while, i decided to give this whole fan fiction stuff a go. I just want o say that all rights go to rick riordan for the creation of the heroes of olympus. So without further ado....Chapter 1!

Chapter 1

Annabeth

Annabeth stood on the outer deck of the Argo II. The ship was beautiful: a true work of talent. Annabeth knew Leo had some skills, but this! This was amazing! The woodwork was made of maple and sanded down unti it was as smooth as glass. The mast rose high above the rest of the ship, dominating anything that stood below it. Annabeth leaned over the railing just enought to get a good look at the ornament decorating the very front of the Argo II: a beautiful metal dragon head with polished, iron teeth, and ruby colored eyes. Annabeth remembered how emotional Leo got when he finshed the ship by placing the head on the very tip of the ship.

"Annabeth?" Piper broke through her trance.

"Huh? What?" Annabeth replied with a confused look.

"We'll be landing soon," Piper reminded her ,"Leo is sending a message to the Roman camp now so we don't, you know, get blown up I guess." Annabeth gave in to a little laugh, but it didn't hide her pure excitment to see Percy again. It had been months since she last saw him and she couldn't wait to relax in his arms again. Piper led Annabeth down a long corridor to the main communications room of the ship. Jason and Leo were seated in the middle of ther room staring at a weird piece of parchment. (next part from son of neptune)

"...I'm Leo. I'm the," he paused then called out. "What's my title? Am I likeadmiral, captain, or"

"Repair boy!" Piper called back. Annabeth giggled, something she rarely did since Percy had disapeared.

"Very funny, Piper," Leo grumbled. "So yeah. I'm...ah...supreme commander of the Argo II. Yeah! I like that! Anyway, we're gonna be sailing towards in you in, I dunno, an hour in this big mother warship. We'd appreciate it if you'd not, like, blow us out of the sky or anything. So okay! If you could tell the Romans that? See you soon. Yours in demigodishness, and all that. Peace out."

"Demigodishness?" Jason snorted as Leo rolled up the scroll.

"Shut up," Leo said jokingly. "If you were trying to stop a bunch of Romans from blowing us all out of the sky what would you say?"

"Certainly not demigodishness," Piper chimed in. Eeryone lauhged at that one, except Leo. Annabeth noticed he wasn't his usual self: All peppy and full of energy. He seemed tired and upset, but Annabeth couldn't tell why. Maybe it's just from all this flying and repairs for the ship he's had to do, all this non-stop flying certainly wasn't helping her sleep intake. But still, Annabeth couldn't help but feel something else was bothering Leo.

"You okay, Leo?" Annabeth blurted out.

Leo looked up from fidgeting with some gears and said, "What? Me? No I'm fine, just a little tired," his voice trailed off.

"Annabeth's right Leo," Piper said, " you haven't been, well, Leo lately."

"You know you can tell us anything," Jason quickly added, "This trip's been hard on all of us."

 Leo's dark eyes flared with anger, "I'm fine,alright? Just quit bothering me about everything you think is wrong!" He stood up angrily and left the room, but not without slamming the door behind him.

Piper shot a worried glance at Jason and Annabeth said," Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything to begin with."

"No it's okay," Jason reassured her, "we've all noticed he's been acting strange lately."

"Do you think it could just be this whole quest that's been getting to him," Piper asked.

"It couldn't be that," Jason replied, "Almost every night this week he's been either screaming in his sleep of waking up in the middle of the night just crying." Annabeth wondered what could be causing Leo's constant nightmares. But after this incounter, she figured it'd be wise not to talk to him about it again.