Chapter Twenty Three

Once I run back into the main area of Star Labs where everyone is waiting, I set Scott back down on his feet. I watch as he wobbles around for a moment before falling over. I can't help but laugh. Cisco, Joe and Caitlin join in too. "What? Not everyone can run that fast and be used to that speed." Scott tries to defend himself, but I can see that he's smiling. I stop laughing as images of the metahumans I have faced flash before me in my mind. I've never come across a metahuman that has been good. They have all been evil and love to cause pain and strife. That usually results in a lot of killing. What if there was no metahuman out there that was good? What if the Particle Accelerator only affected those who wanted, or were very much capable of doing bad? What if it is my destiny to become a villain? What if I become a killer sometime in the future? I try to push the worrying thoughts out of my head, but I just can't. I look around the room. Everyone seems to notice my change in mood, even with my blurred features. "What's wrong, dude?" Cisco asks. Suddenly, Cisco snaps his fingers. "I've just come up with an awesome name for the shark metahuman!" Cisco's eyes light up. "What is it?" I ask, hoping to avoid a conversation about my emotions.

"King Shark!" Cisco announces proudly. I look around at the others.

"Yeah. That could work." Caitlin nods.

"Speaking of King Shark, where is he?" Joe asks.

"Doctor Wells is keeping an eye on him until the authorities can take him away." Scott answers.

"Oh, so that's where he went." Cisco nods slowly. I notice that Joe is staring at me. I shift my weight uncomfortably.

"Guys, can you give me and the Flash a minute to speak in private?" Joe asks the group. I internally groan. Just great. Caitlin nods. "Yeah, sure." Scott adds. Cisco, Caitlin and Scott all leave the room, giving Joe and I some privacy. I let my face stop vibrating. "Stiles, what's wrong?" Joe asks in a serious voice.

"Nothing. I'm fine." I lie.

"You may be wearing a mask, but I can still see the conflict in your eyes and hear the nervousness in your voice. Tell me the truth." Joe insists. I sigh, placing a hand on my head, wanting to rub a hand through my hair. Instead, I feel the smooth, cool material covering my head. I let my hand drop to my side. "Fine. I was just thinking about something." I start to give in. "Thinking about what?" Joe crosses his arms.

"Just about how we haven't come across any metahumans that aren't evil." I admit.

"We have you." Joe replies, nudging my arm playfully. I shake my head sadly.

"Yeah, that's just the thing, Joe. What if I'm not a good guy? What if I turn evil and become a murderer?" I confess my fears, looking at Joe directly in the eyes. Joe walks forward and puts a hand on my shoulder. "Stiles. If there's anything I know about you, it's that you aren't evil and never will be." Joe tries to assure me.

"You haven't seen me for years, Joe. How would you know that?" I ask.

"Because you're the same Stiles that I knew all those years ago. I know you won't change. You're not a monster. What you are is a strong and brave hero that will do anything to save people, especially the ones he loves. What you have done as the Flash is incredible, but all it is doing is highlighting the qualities that you already had." Joe tells me comfortingly. "Really?" I ask, feeling a little skeptical.

"Really." Joe nods. After a moment of silence, I pull Joe into a hug.

"Thanks, Joe." I mumble into his shoulder.