Chapter 5

I couldn’t speak, the words not being able to form. A crash of thunder erupted in the sky, causing me jump. “So I see Odin has told Thor…” His mother mumbled and I stood up from the bench, “I-I’m sorry I… I need some time…” I said, rushing out of the gardens and back inside as rain started pouring from the sky.

Tears were slowly spilling from eyes as I stumbled up to my bedroom, slamming the door shut behind me. I ran my hands through my hair, sliding down the doors till I hit the cold marble floor. “No… why would he do this?” I whispered to myself, pulling my knees to my chest. My father loved me… he wouldn’t take away my life away from me… he wouldn’t… 

I didn’t stop the tears from flowing as I stood up, taking off the dress and putting on my clothes I came here in which were laying at the end of my bed, folded neatly in a pile. I knew my father had made a promise, but I couldn’t help him fulfill that promise. I had absolutely no choice in the matter, and he knew how stubborn and strong willed I was…. I’m surprised he actually tried to go through with it.

“I’m sorry…” I said quietly, leaving my room and sliding a note under my father’s door. I had tried to run once and I wasn’t very sneaky about it…. I wouldn’t let them catch me this time. I slipped out the back door through the kitchen, making my way out to the stables. 

I went inside Buttercup’s pen, slowly putting the saddle on her which she didn’t particularly like. “I know girl… shh.” I said quietly, petting her mane before climbing up, nudging her out of the barn. Luckily she complied even through the rain and lightning shooting across the sky. I could tell he wasn’t happy with the decision, but I didn’t blame him.

He could have any other girl in his entire world, but he got the weak human. And knowing of Thor’s popularity with the ladies he probably had many lovers… I shook off the thoughts, lightly nudging Buttercup’s sides so she would start running.  We took a dark path through the woods, and I wasn’t particularly sure as to where we were headed. 

After all I wasn’t very familiar with Asgard, so I had no idea where the path led. The rain was falling heavier now, blocking my view as well as the horses and we were forced to stop. In the middle of the forest, with nowhere else to I hopped down, leading her under the safety of a few trees. “Thank you girl…” I said quietly, gently kissing the horses head before moving back out into the rain. 

I hugged myself as I walked further along the path, determined not to let this rain stop me. I was shivering, my vision becoming more blurry the longer I walked on. I heard the snap of a twig a few feet behind me and I turned, my eyes searching the darkness. “Hello?” I shouted, not knowing what could be out in these woods. 

“Why must you be so infuriating Rayne?” I heard his deep voice echo through the forest and I froze eyes wide. “Thor?” I whispered, not seeing him through the thick fog. “Why must you always run from me?” His voice sounded wounded, hurt almost. 

“I… I thought you didn’t want this.” I retorted, now hearing the crunch of the gravel below his feet. He was moving closer. I backed away, not wanting him so close to me. I wouldn’t be able to think. When my back hit a tree I knew I was done for, now trapped. 

I now could see his large frame, drenched from the rain as I was. “You have no idea what goes on in my head Rayne.” He nearly growled his dark eyes now boring into mine. He was now only inches away, his hot breath on my face. “How am I supposed to? You are nice to me one moment than a complete ass the next! I don’t know what to think Thor!” 

I shout my face heating as I saw he was enjoying this. “As a matter of a fact I knew about this marriage since I was just twelve years of age. I was never against it Rayne.” I narrow my eyes, now infuriated. “If you are so willing to marry why is it storming? I’ve read the stories; you’re upset about something Thor.” He chuckled, leaning his face closer to mine.

“Silly girl….” He mumbled, taking my face in his large hands before pressing his lips to mine. As much as I wanted to push him away, slap him even, I couldn’t. I melted in his embrace, my hands moving up to tangle in his blond locks. The rain was still pounding, cooling my warm face and mixing with our locked lips. 

I felt his hands leave my face, wrapping them around my waist and tugging me closer. “Jump.” He mumbled against my mouth and I eagerly obliged, my legs now wrapped around his waist. I knew right then if this continued we would go much further than I was willing to go at that moment so broke away from his lips, gasping for air. 

“I- Thor wait.” I said, out of breath as his lips continued to kiss down my jaw to my neck. “Wait for what beautiful?” He said, his voice going an octave deeper, causing a shiver to shake my body. “You’re shaking….” He mumbled, a kiss now being pressed to my collarbone. “Are you cold?” I nodded, not trusting my voice. 

“We should go back…” He sighed, detaching his lips from my skin, causing me to sigh. I didn’t know what to say, even what to think. My head was clouded with him… everywhere. He kept his hold on me as he started walking, until we reached where I left Buttercup. He set me on the horse first, climbing on after and steering her back toward the castle. 

I was quiet still, which he noticed immediately, “What, nothing to say?” I could hear the slight smirk in his voice but I didn’t turn. “Why is it still raining?” I asked quietly, stroking Buttercup’s mane which was slightly damp.  “It rains whenever I feel strong emotions… not just when I’m upset.” He chuckled, his hands still firmly wrapped around my waist. 

“Well that must be troublesome.” I felt his chest shake with laughter, “To others yes, but I do enjoy the rain.” I bit my lip, nodding now seeing the castle in the near distance. “How did you find out so soon?” He must have known I was going to ask sooner or later. “My brother had told me, he had overheard our parents speaking about it.”

 I nod, waiting for him to continue. “You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting to finally have you here.” My eyebrows scrunch together, confusion filling me. “I don’t see why… I’m nothing compared to the women here.” I felt the horse stop, we were in the stables. He turned me to face him, a frown etched into his handsome features. “Do you truly not see how beautiful you are?”

I shake my head and he sighs, “We’ll talk about this later…. your father wants to speak to you.” I nod, letting him help me down. He keeps a hand wrapped firmly around my waist as he leads me inside, the castle now deadly silent. “He is waiting for you in your- our room.” I nod, as he stops at the door and when I finally process his words I whip around. 

“Our room?” I question, and he chuckles, “Yes, our parents thought it fit since we are to be wed in a few weeks.” That was all it took for collapse, the kiss, all of this rushing to my head, causing me to faint. 

________________________________________________________________________

And there we are! Chapter 5 as I promised!

I will start writing Chapter 6 tonight, but I'm going to start some editing on my other stories. 

I dedicate this chapter to all of you wonderful readers for making me want to keep writing this story!

I love you all! 

Xx. -Mariah