Chapter Two (I Can't Do That To You)

Start from the beginning

"Loc, leave him alone; handle the others," I said, taking a step closer to the first man as a test. If he came at me, he was lying. If he took a step back, he was telling the truth. I watched his reaction and noticed him flinching with every step I took.

"Please?" he begged again.

"How do I know you're not lying? I want to see a picture," I said, crossing my arms over my chest, trying to look intimidating.

"Okay, let me take my phone out and show you. My name is Brandy Owens. My wife's name is Makayla, and she is absolutely beautiful," he said, pulling out his phone with shaking hands. He showed me his screen saver, a picture of the four of them. A teenage girl was on one knee and his wife was on the other, holding a younger girl on her lap.

"What are your daughter's names?" I asked, looking at them and wishing more than anything that I had that kind of family.

"The oldest one is thirteen. Her name is Cydney. The younger one is ten. Her name is Veronica," he said, smiling as he was staring at the picture.

"What beautiful names. Your family is beautiful." I was feeling so jealous.

"Thank you so much," he said sincerely.

"Now back to the problem at hand."

"I swear on my family's life I never did it intentionally. I was walking to work this morning, and they grabbed me, saying I had to come help them break into your apartment or they would kill my family," he blurted out.

"I believe you," I said, helping the man stand up.

"Thank you so much," he said again. I nodded then quickly turned around to see if Locland was all right.

He had knocked both of the other robbers out with nothing but his bare hands and had a phone up to his ear. He put the phone down, took three big strides towards me, and wrapped his big muscular arms around my thin torso, pulling me closer to him. "Are you all right?" he whispered.

"Yeah, a little bit shaken, but I'll live." I smiled, looking up at him.

"I called the police. They should be here any minute." He said, looking at the man behind me with uncertainty.

"He's innocent." I gestured with my head at the man I had interrogated.

The cops came and took the two guys Locland had knocked out and put them in police car without a problem. I explained how the other man was innocent, but they had to take him in for questioning along with Locland and me. Locland told the cops he would drive us there.

Locland led me outside my apartment building, walked me over to his truck, and helped me get in. We drove in silence for the first five minutes before I broke down, crying. "Rayne, what's wrong, honey?" he asked, putting his right hand over my trembling hands.

"I'm scared. Someone is always after me even though I did nothing wrong," I whispered, feeling my walls crumble again.

He nodded his head in understanding. "I know that feeling. That's what it feels like when you're in the Army. People are continuously firing at you, and you've done nothing wrong." We didn't talk after that, but he didn't let go of my hand until he had to get out of the car at the police station. When he jumped out, I opened my door, receiving a glare from Locland. "I'm supposed to open the door for you. Now close it." I swiftly complied.

He opened it and helped me out, taking hold of my hand again as we walked inside the police station. We walked to the front desk and waited until the lady got off the phone, sending a patrol to a hit and run before turning her attention to us. "How may I assist you?" she asked, smiling sweetly at Locland.