Into the Castle

Wynter peered through the trees and glanced to her left and right. The field between the forest and the castle was empty. The full moon hung in the sky, shining its white light across the large expanse. A moonless night would have been more favorable, but it appeared the moon was not on their side tonight.

Wynter waved her hand to signal the others, and she took off running across the field. Shai and Cyrus quickly passed her and reached the safety of the castle's shadows before she did, while Doc followed closely behind her. She grabbed her side and wheezed, gasping for air, but she didn't stop until she reached the castle wall and then collapsed against it.

"Wynter, breathe," said Cyrus. He knelt beside her and started coaching her through it.

Wynter gave Cyrus a playful grin. "I know...how to breathe," she said between gulps of air.

"We have to keep moving," said Doc. He opened the outside door that led to the kitchen. "No one's here."

Cyrus helped Wynter up, and they followed Doc and Shai inside.

The smell of yeast greeted them when they entered the kitchen. Wynter knew that the baker would have just finished making the morning's biscuits, but now the kitchen was completely dark and empty. She led the way through the darkness, relying on her sense of touch and memories from organizing countless banquets in the kitchen. She maneuvered her way around one of the counters, and then a loud crash sounded behind her.

They froze.

Wynter glanced over her shoulder and saw pots and pans scattered on the floor at Shai's feet.

"Sorry," Shai whispered.

Wynter held her breath as she reached the door, hoping no one heard the noise. She didn't hear anyone in the hallway, so she carefully cracked open the door. The hallway was lit by a few torches, their flames casting shadows that Wynter almost mistook for guards. She couldn't see to her right without opening the door, but she didn't hear anyone. The occasional crackle from the torches was the only sound.

Cyrus stepped into the hallway first, and he motioned for the others to follow. Wynter pointed in the direction of the throne room, and they hurried as fast as they could while still not making a sound. She peeked around the corner and saw two guards in front of the throne room door: Christopher and Alfred. Wynter smiled. She knew they'd be there.

Doc rounded the corner and approached the guards first. They spoke in hushed tones that Wynter couldn't make out.

Doc's plan was simple. The four of them would slip into the castle undetected. They would slip in and restrain Andrew and Lucinda. Once they had them detained, they would be free to search for evidence that proved Lucinda killed the king. Cyrus had suggested using the kitchen's entrance to get inside, and Doc said the queen wouldn't expect anything in the middle of the night.

Wynter was the one who said they would need more help, but for a moment, she questioned whether or not she had made the right choice. Could those guards really be trusted at a time like this?

Finally, Christopher opened the throne room door, and the three of them went inside. Doc had told them beforehand if they entered the throne room together, that would be the sign that it was safe for her to follow. Wynter, Cyrus, and Shai entered behind them, and Wynter hesitantly approached the guards.

"Princess Wynter?" said Alfred. "Is it really you?"

"It is me."

Christopher and Alfred bowed down on one knee. "Forgive us, Your Highness," said Christopher. "We thought you were dead."

"There is nothing to forgive. That is exactly what my stepmother wanted you to believe, and she is planning things far worse than that."

"You didn't...you didn't poison the king like the queen says, did you?" asked Alfred.

"Don't ask that." Christopher thrusted his elbow into Alfred's side.

"Ow!"

"Please," said Wynter, "it's all right. It is a valid question. I did not kill my father, and I am certain that my stepmother killed him and then tried to kill and frame me for it."

"I told you we couldn't trust the queen," Christopher said to Alfred.

"Please stand," said Wynter. The guards did as she requested. She looked both of them in the eye to ensure she had their full attention. "I need your help."

"Anything," said Alfred.

"I need you to help me capture the queen and prince."

"But, Your Highness, that's treason," said Alfred.

"No, my stepmother and stepbrother have killed my father, tried to kill me, and taken the throne that is rightfully mine. They have committed treason, and they must be stopped before the entire kingdom suffers."

"We are loyal to you alone," said Christopher. "It would be an honor to protect you and the kingdom."

"Where is the queen? And that low life that calls himself a prince?" asked Cyrus.

"They will be in their chambers sleeping," Christopher answered.

"Just as we thought," said Wynter. "Cyrus, Doc, and Shai will find Andrew, and you two can help me find Lucinda."

"It's too dangerous, Wynter. I won't leave you," said Cyrus.

"Their chambers are on opposite sides of the castle, and Doc and Shai need your help." Cyrus looked like he was about to protest, but Wynter gently placed her hand on his arm and continued before he could interrupt. "I need to know if Lucinda really killed my father. Christopher and Alfred will take care of her. I will be safe."

Cyrus reluctantly nodded his head. He leaned in and kissed Wynter on the cheek before telling Doc and Shai to follow him.

As the door closed behind them, a strange feeling passed over Wynter, and a single thought lingered in her mind.

What if I never see them again?

Wynter took a deep breath and prayed they would be safe. Lucinda and Andrew had no reason to suspect they were coming, so it would just be a simple retrieval.

But she still couldn't shake the feeling.