Chapter 2: "Kitten?"

Start from the beginning

I tried it again in hopes that he would pick up. "You have reached the voicemail of-" I ended the call, sighing. Nope, still switched off.

After wandering around, I finally found Mr. Brandon's office, but from the glass door I could see he wasn't inside anyways.

One of the assistants advised me to wait for him but he left abruptly in his explanation before I could ask him anything more. God, they seem to have no time to spare for anyone or anything.

I decided to wait for him in front of the cabin until he comes over.

Everything was luxurious. The grey walls, which stretched to the tall ceiling, provided much enough sunlight to seep through. From there, you could see all of the stretching roads with endless traffic and the palm trees gently swaying in the wind.

As I admired the view, I waited for Mr. Brandon for 20 minutes, impatiently tapping my foot against the floor.

"There you are.." said a thick voice behind me.

I swiveled around, relief flushing over me. Finally he was here.

But only it wasn't Mr. Brandon. There, in a dark charcoal suit and white dress shirt, was Asher Devin Jones looking every bit of handsome as well as intimidating. I fidgeted under his scrutinizing eyes. That photo definitely didn't do him any justice. He was strikingly gorgeous with a killer jawline which I swear can cut through concrete. His green eyes were darker and his near-black hair screamed for me to run my hands through it.

"You are not supposed to be here," he condemned, looking dissatisfied.

"I-I got lost", I faltered. I was surprised that any words left my mouth.

"Jessica Adams, correct? My new assistant?"

"I..am..," Before I could explain, he cut me off.

"You are already late. I don't want to hear any excuses. Follow me," It sounded like a cold command.

He was definitely intimidating. So I shut my mouth and followed him.

"This is your office," he beckoned me into a cabin which was supposedly Jessica's. It was properly bigger than my bedroom.

"Here is the coffee machine, I'm sure you know how to operate it. Fetch me a coffee when I ring you up for one," I just nodded my head, disoriented.

He handed me a blue folder. "Here, this has all the instructions you must follow," he pursed his lips in thought. "I want you to review over these contracts and submit them to me in exactly an hour."

He left the room abruptly, running his hands over his unkempt hair. I couldn't help but notice how removing strands of hair from his forehead brings out his eyes.

He stopped in the doorway, turning around. "And yes, if you can't finish all of these in that time, you will be fired."

"But I-" Before I could even start to tell him the truth, he left the room.

I huffed, and closed the door behind him. I had to tell him about the misunderstanding. But as I went towards his cabin, it was locked. Upon asking the reception, I realized he went for a meeting. Instead of waiting, I decided to try and go over the contracts. I'll explain everything after he gets back.

After an hour, I got a call from Mr. Jones, asking me to come to his office.

I knocked before letting myself in. The cabin was probably the size of my house with white walls and an amazing cityscape view. There was also a room inside of it which was closed.

"Your file, Mr. Jones." I handed him the papers, taking a seat in front of him. He didn't even glance up as I strolled in.

He studied the contracts, taking his time to go over them.

"Most of the information was correct, except for some overlooked ones, which I did edit... I also added some things of my own. If you don't like them, you can just remove them."

After an elongated silence, he was finally done shuffling through the folder. "You have done well."

I gave myself a small pat on my back as I felt like Mr.Jones didn't give out compliments that easily.

"I want you to go over our records and make an analysis report over it immediately," He shoved a file triple the size of the last one onto the desk. " I want these within an hour as well."

Gaping at the file in front of me, I wasn't sure whether I would be able to finish this within an hour. I faltered to draw my words together, but with a steely gaze, I made sure he didn't see it. I felt like Mr. Jones was challenging me and I liked challenges.

"You can go now. Do not disturb me until I ring you in."

"Thank you, Mr. Jones." I left the cabin to get on with my work.

It was arduous, I was so engrossed in it that I didn't realize it was almost time for lunch. My stomach was a untameable beast, growling with hunger. But I refrained from listening to my stubborn appetite. I was going to prove to Mr. Jones that I could do this.

After another tedious hour, I was almost finished, though I had two papers remaining.

Finally Mr. Jones rang me, instructing me to come his office with the records and a cup of black coffee.

I went inside his cabin awed yet again by its size and the beautiful cityscape.

"Is it complete?" he asked. I handed him the file and placed the mug of coffee on his desk.

"I only had two pages left to review, if I perhaps had more time-"

"That is not an acceptable excuse! This is highly unprofessional, Miss Adams," he barked at me. His jade eyes filled with anger.

"First, you come in late, and now you just proved yourself worthless by not finishing your task on your very first day."

"I think it is nearly impossible to finish this task in that short amount of time." I quietly stammered, trying to keep myself calm.

"Bullshit! If you are gonna work as my assistant you have to be more efficient than this."

I seethed with boiling anger. It was quite absurd to finish looking through records of every transaction history this company has ever made in an hour. Not to mention, I had to write a detailed report on it. I wasn't even supposed to do this in the first place.

"I apologize Mr. Jones, but I think I have done enough, given you had given me a short hour to do such an extensive job. You didn't even let me explain myself before, I am not Jessica Adams. I am just a mere intern who was lost on her first day."

"Who are you then?" His voice amplified with a mixture of fury and curiosity.

"I am Armelle Vista, Mr. Brandon's new intern."

He cocked his head. "Do we know each other? Why does you name sound familiar?"

"Well, you must have talked to my father about me."

"Wait a minute, are you Daniel's daughter?" He quirked an eyebrow at me.

"Yes," I inwardly sighed. I was so relieved to clear this out with him.

"Kitten?"

"Excuse me?"

Edited by unladymention a usermention a user