Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

My eyes wandered into the cell opposite mine. Auntie Clara was sitting at a corner of the cell and staring at the wall. When she caught me looking at her, she glanced at me for a few seconds before looking away. She switched her position and had her back facing me. There was no more care and concern, and no more love in her eyes. There were only coldness, disgust and hatred.

Knowing that Robert Miller had lied to her, she hated him. She hated the fact that her sister was raped. She hated the fact that her sister was dead. She hated the fact that the caused to her sister’s death was due to the person she had taken care of for 10 over years. And that person was actually the fruit of the rape.

I lay on the ground lifelessly. Hours later, I felt pain erupting through my chest. At first, I thought it was the beast within me wanting to come out and hence causing the pain. However, minutes later, I started hearing some cracking sound. It was so soft that you would think that you were imagining things. I tried to scan the surrounding to find the source of the sound but there was nothing. It wasn’t only physical pain that I was experiencing. There was something else.

Some emotions such as grieve, heartache, like someone had tore a piece of your heart out. It felt as someone had taken away something that you loved a lot. It felt like the feeling of grieve that you experienced when someone you love was leaving you. Tears were uncontrollably rolling down my cheeks. I tried to stop crying but I can’t. At the same time, I thought I heard another voice. She sounded as if she was weeping. I peeked over to Auntie Clara but she didn’t seem like she was crying.

I ended up crying day and night. I didn’t even have the appetite to eat anything. When they knew I was staving myself, Robert Miller commanded his people to force the food down my throat. They were not sincerely concerned about me. They were worried that I would die of starvation before I even turned into a beast. When I resisted them, they decided to chain me up. Both of my hands and legs were chained up to the wall. They continued to force food down my throat. They didn’t care whether they hurt me or not. They just wanted me to eat.

Till the end, I wasn’t even bothered by them. They could do whatever they want. I was good as being dead. I did not know how many days have past. There were no news about Brayden and others. Probably they hated me for putting Brayden in danger. Why would they even come and save me from this hell? What was the point of saving me when I’m was the culprit of his sufferings? I always said that I wanted to protect him. In the end, I never get to protect him from danger. I was the one who caused him to go through pain. I had hurt him deeply. Before I got captured, I even told him that I didn’t want to be his mate. He must have hated me.

Even so, I missed him. I misse him so much. Whenever I thought of him, my heart hurt a lot. I wondered how was he. Was his wolf really detached from him? What can I do to help? Just what can I do…? There was this small window in the cell. Whenever I looked outside, I would only see the sky turning from day to night, and night to day. The cycle repeated itself.

And this day, when the sky was getting to night time, Robert Miller and a group of his people came to my cell and dragged me out to the open grassland situated in middle of the village. When I reached the grassland, there was this huge cage in the middle. They opened up the cage and locked me inside. I had my eyes closed while lying inside the cage. My breathing started to get a little heavy. I cracked opened my eyes a little and saw the people outside of the cage were busy shifting things around.

“Get prepared!! The time is coming!!” Robert Miller was commanding his people around. It seemed like they were creating a protection border around the cage. And there were people standing around the border.

“We cannot afford to make any mistake!! They probably would strike today. You guys must get prepared!!” Robert Miller was shouting his words to his people. ‘They’? Did he mean Brayden and the others? Were they coming?

As time gone by, I could feel my chest tightening. Pain was shooting across my body. I wanted to scream out in pain but my voice got stuck in my throat. My throat was hurting due to the dryness. I licked my lips to moisture it. As the sky darkened, the air started to cool. The cold breeze were sweeping past my body.

I could feel my bones cracking and the pain was being unbearable. I bit my lips till blood was oozing out. Tears were forming in my eyes. I squeezed my eyes tightly as the pain came again.

“Ah…” One drop of tears rolled off my face. I crouched myself together as the pain was getting more unbearable.

Suddenly, a wolf came running up to Robert Miller. They were probably communicating through their pack link. Later, I could hear a number of different growling echoing through the air. After hearing that, I tried to shift myself nearer to the bars. Taking in the pain, I crawled slowly to the bars where I could clearly see what was happening outside.

After a while, the wolf ran off and Robert Miller shifted into his wolf. Robert Miller’s wolf was slightly larger than the other wolves. His wolf had deep dark brown fur with a few shading of red. He ran off to the direction where that wolf previously headed. I was left in the cage with a few wolves guarding me. They were circulating around the cage and observing the surrounding.

The sky was getting darker. There weren’t many clouds in the sky. From my direction, I could see the moon hanging up high in the sky. It was round and bright. Such a beautiful night but it was going to be tainted by blood soon.

“AH!!” My bones started breaking again and the pain was coming back to me. Drops of sweat formed on my forehead. More growling could be heard. The wolves that were guarding me were starting to be on high alert. From far, there was a group of wolves charging towards us. Everything went chaotic. Wolves were pouncing on each other and ripping each other throats.

“Argh…” I whimpered in pain. My whole body felt so sore and numb. As the next wave of pain arrived, I was shocked to see my hands… They were turning into paws… I was going to turn into a beast… This would be the most ‘wonderful’ birthday ever. The day of my 21st would be the day I turned into a monstrous creature. What a gift…

The fighting was going on. One of the wolves were been thrown across the air and his whole body hit hard onto the cage bars. There were other wolves immediately came up and stood protectively over that wolf. I couldn’t recognize which wolf belonged to which group. I didn’t have the energy to go and differentiate them. A familiar feeling was developing within me. I knew what feeling was that. My paws gripped the bars tightly. My human whimpers were turning into animal growlings. I could hear my heart beating rhythmically, loud and clear. Blood rushing through the blood veins and my body was starting to heat up.

At this very moment, I saw a brown wolf running towards us from far. On the wolf back, there was someone riding on it. The brown wolf stopped at a certain distance away from my cage. The person dropped down from the wolf back and landed flat on the ground. That person was trying very hard to stand up but he was having some difficulties. I tried to use some strength and pulled myself nearer to the edge of the cage. I couldn’t differentiate whether it was sweat or tears that were dripping down my chin. When that person on the ground lifted his head up, his gaze was focusing on me.

Brayden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember to Vote. Fan. Comment.

Last edited 15 June 2018