.8.

This was where Rhett and I spent a good bit of our time. Westwater Lake.

It was a landmark right between our houses and every other weekend, we would come down here for a swim or just to talk.

Rhett invited me this time. He called me up, asking if I could meet him there.

He sounded muffled, as if he had been crying. I gave him a quick okay and was out the door.

I was there before he was. He told me that his parents were fighting again.

There was a fresh bruise forming on his left cheek. 

Rhett never told me anything about his family. He always insisted that they were too boring to talk about. He would tell me that they fought a lot. He never said they hit him, but something deep inside told me they did.

He was always showing up at school with new bruises. He would try his best to hide them, but he failed a good majority of the time.

"Rhett," I asked, as he sat down under the big oak. That was our favorite spot to sit.

He looked at me, "Yeah?"

I didn't want to ask. It felt wrong. But I was tired of seeing this abuse on him...It hurt me too.

"Do your parents hit you?" I asked, pushing my glasses back up my nose. 

He was speechless. His eyes were vacant but he continued to stare right into mine.

"Rhett," I said again, "Do they hurt you?"

He looked away and stood up.

My heat sunk. "Rhett, please."

"Shut up!" he yelled and began to storm off. I felt my bones tense. I stood and began to chase him, "Rhett listen to me," I shouted. "I want to make this right. Everyday you look like you've been hit and it's disturbing. I need to know if they are hurting you Rhett...I want to help you."

He stopped dead in his tracks.

"Stop trying to be the good guy here. There's nothing to fix."

He was crying now. Sobbing.

"They don't hurt me, Link. I'm just clumsy."

I knew he was lying, but I let him. I couldn't do this.

"Rhett, I'm sorry I asked. I'm sorry. Please, come back," I pleaded with him.

He wiped his cheeks with the backs of his sleeves. 

"Rhett," I said again, "Are you okay?"

He looked at me, his eyes were red and puffy. His hands were shaking and he just cried.

"Rhett, I need you to promise me something..." I started.

He stared at me blankly. 

"If you're in trouble...if you aren't safe...if anything...if you need me...tell me...please?"

I took a step towards him, my hand out.

He stared at me and then at my hand, then back at me.

"Always," he took my hand.

I felt my body flush with butterflies. This tingling sensation urged me to do what I've always wanted to do but could never find the balls to. I still couldn't. I just couldn't.

I pulled him in for a hug, resting my head on his chest. He was too tall for it to be the other way around.

He smelt like cigarette smoke and gas, but I didn't care. It felt so nice to hold him.

I felt okay to rub his back and tell him it would be okay.

It felt alright...everything felt alright.

I pulled away from him slowly, and looked up. 

He wasn't crying anymore, but his face was still damp. I wiped the tears away the best I could and held him there. His beard was already coming in and the scruffiness of it scratched at my fingers.

But I didn't mind.

He looked into my eyes, and I into his.

"Link," he started to speak, but I broke him off by pushing my mouth to his.

His lips were warm and tasted exactly how I imagined him to taste. Sweet.

He cupped my hips with his hands, and pulled me closer to him.

I didn't know where to put my hands. So I just laid them on his chest.

I was so warm. It felt so good to be in this situation.

It felt so right.

He pulled away suddenly. His face was flushed red and he was grinning from ear to ear.

"Link..."

I shook my head, "Don't talk, just kiss me."

So he did.

--------------

Okay, this wasn't the best. I'm sorry. But I hope you are enjoying the story!

Thanks for reading! You're awesome!

And always remember to be your mythical best!

- Robin Nicole