.4.

It was 3 a.m. and I felt groggy. After stopping at Starbucks, I felt a little better, but I needed sleep more than anything. 

My mind said sleep, but my heart was pushing me to keep going. I was almost there....almost to Rhett.

But I felt so out of it. I wasn't in control of my body completely. I could barely keep my eyes open. 

I thought of Rhett. What he would say, "Stop. Give me the wheel. Take a nap."

But Rhett isn't here this time. So, I decided to stop at a local motel and get a room for the night.

Rhett would laugh at me for sleeping in this shrub of a place.

Walking through the doors of the one story building, the smell of vacuum dust and cigar smoke filled my nose. I felt it crawl it's way back in my throat where I began to cough. After a loud sneeze, I made my way to the desk.

A older man with a gold chain and a Hawaiian button up was smoking a cigar.

"What can I do ya' for?" he asked with a New York accent. The few gray hairs on his head were slicked back with a can of hairspray.

"Um, yeah. Can I get a room for the night?" I asked, pulling out fifteen dollars. The man gave me a smug look, "Ya' name Lincoln?" he asked while pulling a key from the cork board behind him.

My eyes grew wide. I had never seen this man in my life. How the hell does he know my name?

"Um, yeah.." I murmured softly. He could see the fear forming on my face, clearly, as he proceeded to raise his hand.

"Ah, don't worry. I ain't no criminal," he laughed his hearty laugh.

I stepped back, in disbelief.

"A man came by last night, and told me you'd probably be around. He gave me a card to give to you. Ya' want it?"

My heart beat sped up.

Rhett was here.

"Please.." I croaked embarrassingly.

"Here ya' go," he said handing me a key and a card with my name scribbled across the top.

I took them quickly and laid the fifteen on the counter, but the man pushed it away.

"Ya' boy paid for ya'. He reserved the nice room for ya' too!"

My mouth dropped a little, "Oh, um, okay. Thank you."

"Don't thank me. Ya' should be thanking him!" he chuckled as I exited the lobby and walked down the hall.

When I made it to my room, I threw my things to the ground and myself on the bed.

The anticipation was killing me.

I ripped the card open with haste.

It read: 

   Link, you got my first letter. Good. If you're reading this, it means you haven't given up on me. Thank you. Now, the directions on note #1 are only halfway true. I had a feeling you would need a break at some point, so I gave you a little room to rest that small body of yours. Now. Follow the directions on this card until you feel you need to take a detour. You'll know what I mean. Thanks for caring...it means a lot. I love you. - Rhett   

Suddenly a wave of relief washed over me. 

He knows I'm coming. He planned this.

But why? What is all of this about? 

I felt an ache in my head.

My eyes were swollen with grogginess. I needed sleep.

Crawling up on the bed, I laid the card on the nightstand.

Starring at it, I felt calm. And not a minute went by before I was dreaming.

---------------

I seriously love New York accents. They are gold. Just sayin'.

Hope you guys enjoyed! Thanks for reading! You're great!

Give me any thoughts in the comments! Tell me how you feel! Vote if you want!

And always remember to be your mythical best! 

- Robin Nicole