A Very Hopeful Ending

(Art by... suprise! Me.)

((Bluh this chapter is kinda shorter than the rest... Sorry.))

 While her attacker is distracted, Terezi rises from the floor and, with a carefully calculated swing of her blade, cuts through the strap holding the quiver in place.

Another roar of outrage from Rusuka, and she reaches for a vial from her belt even as the quiver falls. The vial seems to be filled with the same poison that coated the arrows. Kat notices and knocks the troll's hand aside with the flat of her sword before she can throw it.

The glass vial flies from the troll's grip and shatters on the floor, splashing into a puddle which starts to corrode the carpet.

"No! Rusuka will not have her work tarnished!" Rusuka shrieks, lunging towards Kat.

She barely manages to dodge Rusuka's outstretched claws, but the troll simply drops into a crouch and kicks Kat's legs out from under her. This sends her crashing to the ground and pushes all the air out of her lungs.

Kat manages to aim a desperate slash at Rusuka, which sends an arch of indigo blood to fly from the subsequent gash in her torso.

Terezi approaches from behind with a grim expression. Her usual smile is now more of a grimace.

Rusuka is distracted. This is their chance, but they both can tell there is no non-lethal solution to this. If they just leave her be, who's to say she won't return to try again before they can get Kat safely back to Earth?

When Rusuka begins to reach for another vial, Kat kicks up and pushes her backwards towards Terezi. Her accomplice redirects her with a shove... right into the puddle from the last attempt at a poison attack. It's deep enough now that she stumbles and falls right into it.

The villain shrieks in pain, and Kat picks herself up off the ground once she's caught her breath again. Resolutely not looking in the direction of where their enemy had fallen, she spots the book which had brought her here. Sitting on the desk which Rusuka had been standing in front of- guarding, Kat realizes, is the item she had worked so hard to retrieve. She grabs it quickly.

Cries of pain still fill the air as Kat grabs the book and lets Terezi lead her by the hand out of the base dazedly. The noise cuts off abruptly as they exit through the main door.

Once they're out of the base, the rest of the trip passes in silence.

The house seems much less cheery when they return to the bright colors of Terezi's home.

Although she had rested before venturing into the villain's headquarters, exhaustion has worked it's way into her bones. It feels like having to trudge through deep water with every step, and her shoulders slump forward. Terezi looks about the same as she feels.

There must have been another way. Something we didn't think of. Anything. It's too late now, though. Kat's thoughts spiral out of control the more she focuses on things. The echoes of shrieks of pain still play on repeat in her mind like a broken record, always cutting off with a choked gurgle then restarting.

She glances down at the book tucked into the crook of her arm. Was it worth it?

Terezi's hand is still clasped in hers, and she notices but doesn't acknowledge it outright. The small comfort of company was a welcome change after that disaster.

Still leading the way, Terezi reveals a hidden door underneath the staircase. Through the door is what appears to be a lab. Only a thin layer of dust has settled here, as it was sealed off from the rest of the house.

"Man, it's been years since I've been down here. Let's see if we can get you back home, eh?" She tries for a light tone.

"There could be a different time flow here than there. Maybe it won't have been as long when I get back." Kat replies, though her voice lacks enthusiasm.

"Besides, now we can investigate what happened with your mysterious shadow powers." Terezi continues, surprising Kat. Does she mean the shield? How did that even work?

"Yeah, I suppose so."

And so the pair stands in the dust-covered lab, ready to face whatever lies ahead, together.

(And... That's all, folks! Check out my other stories for more entertainment. Hope you enjoyed. I love comments if you have any and have a good day.)