Chapter Seven

Unedited

Chapter Seven - "Why don't you have a big cup of shut the hell up?"

Harry and I choose a seat right at the back of the room, to stay away from the unwanted stares. I barely notice Maya whispering to Elinor about what happened in Divination. No one seems to be paying attention to the lesson, except for me. I listen to Professor McGonagall telling us about Animagi (wizards who can transform at will into animals), and I'm the only one watching when she transforms herself in front of our eyes into a tabby cat with spectacle markings around her eyes.

"That's so cool!" I laugh, clapping, but I'm the only one to do so. Slowly, I stop, awkwardly.

"Really, what had got into you all today?" says Professor McGonagall, turning back into herself with a faint pop, and staring around at us all. "Not that it matters, but that's the first time my transfiguration's not got applause from a class. Only Emily seems to be listening."

Everybody's heads turn towards Harry again, but nobody speaks. Then Hermione raises her hand.

"Please, Professor, we've just had our first Divination class, and we were reading the tea leaves, and -"

"Ah, of course," says Professor McGonagall, suddenly frowning. "There is no need to say any more, Miss Granger. Tell me, which of you will be dying this year?"

Everyone stares at her.

"Me," says Harry finally.

"I see," says Professor McGonagall, fixing Harry with her beady eyes. "Then you should know, Potter, that Sybill Trelawney has predicted the death of one student a year since she arrived at this school. None of them has died yet. Seeing death omens is her favourite way of greeting a new class. If it were not for the fact that I never speak ill of my colleagues -" Professor McGonagall breaks off, and I see that her nostrils have gone white. She goes on, more calmly, "Divination is one of the most imprecise branches of magic. I shall not conceal from you that I have very little patience with it. True Seers are very rare, and Professor Trelawney ..."

She stops again, and then says, in a matter-of-fact tone, "You look in excellent health to me, Potter, so you will excuse me if I don't let you off homework today. I assure you that if you die, you need not hand it in."

Hermione and I laugh. Not everyone is convinced, however. Ron still looks worried, and Lavender whispers, "But what about Neville's cup?"

When the Transfiguration class has finished, we join the crowd thundering towards the Great Hall for lunch.

"Ron, cheer up," says Elinor, pushing a dish of stew towards him. "You heard what Professor McGonagall said."

Ron spoons stew onto his plate and picks up his fork but doesn't start.

"Harry," he says, in a low, serious voice, "you haven't seen a great black dog anywhere, have you?"

"Yeah, I have," says Harry. "I saw one the night I left the Dursleys."

Ron lets his fork fall with a clatter.

"Probably a stray," says Hermione calmly.

Ron looks at Hermione as though she's gone mad.