Chapter Twenty One

Unedited

Chapter Twenty One - "An excuse to try out my sky diving skills."

I kick off into the air and the Firebolt zooms higher and faster than any other broom; I soar around the stadium, staying close to Katie who has just got possession of the ball, listening all the while to the commentary, which is being provided by the Weasley twins' friend, Lee Jordan.

"They're off, and the big excitement this match are the Firebolt's which Harry Potter and Emily Swift are flying for Gryffindor. According to Which Broomstick, the Firebolt's going to be the broom of choice for the national teams at this year's World Championship -"

"Jordan, would you mind telling us what's going on in the match?" interrupts Professor McGonagall's voice.

"Right you are Professor - just giving a bit of background information. The Firebolt, incidentally, has a built-in auto-brake and -"

"Jordan!"

"Okay, okay, Gryffindor in possession, Katie Bell of Gryffindor heading for goal ..."

Katie throws me the Quaffle, and I hurtle down the pitch, feigning right but throwing the Quaffle through the left hoop. Just as succeed in scoring the first goal of the match, and the Gryffindor end of the pitch goes wild, Harry dives, seeing the Snitch; Cho tears after him. Harry is speeding up, ten feet away -

Then a Bludger, hit by one of the Ravenclaw Beaters, comes pelting out of nowhere; Harry veers off course, avoiding it by an inch, and in those few, crucial seconds, the Snitch has vanished.

There's a great "Ooooooh" of disappointment from the Gryffindor supporters, but much applause for their Beater from the Ravenclaw end. George vents his feelings by hitting the second Bludger directly at the offending Beater, who's forced to roll right over in mid-air to avoid it, and the games goes on.

"Gryffindor lead by eighty points to zero, and look at that Firebolt go! Potter's really putting it through its paces now. See it turn - Chang's Comet us just no match for it. The Firebolt's precision-balance is really noticeable in there long -"

"JORDAN! ARE YOU BEING PAID TO ADVERTISE FIREBOLTS? GET IN WITH THE COMMENTARY!"

Snorting, I concentrate on the game.

Ravenclaw are pulling back; they have scored three goals, which puts Gryffindor only fifty points ahead - if Cho gets the Snitch before Harry, Ravenclaw will win.

I hear gasps and Harry accelerates, eyes fixed on the speck of gold ahead - but next second, Cho has appeared out of thin air, blocking him -

"HARRY, THIS IS NO TIME TO BR A GENTLEMEN!" Wood roars, as Harry swerves to avoid a collision. "KNOCK HER OFF HER BROOM IF YOU HAVE TO!"

Harry turns his Firebolt upwards and is soon twenty feet above the game. I notice that Cho is following him, choosing not to search for the Snitch, but mark Harry instead.

He dives again and Cho tries to follow. Harry pulls out of the dive very sharply, she hurtles downwards; he rises fast as a bullet once more, and then appears to see the Snitch.

He accelerates; so, many feet below, does Cho. Harry's winning, gaining on the Snitch with every second - then -

"Oh!" screams Cho, pointing.