“I think I might have got him into trouble.  The dog got all excited when I walked by the other day and his owner wasn’t very happy with me” I reply, as she opens the gate.

“Don’t you worry about old Piper; he has grumpy old man's syndrome.  I go into him, get him up and dressed every day and I don’t think he's once said thank you in all the time I’ve been doing it.   Such a shame really, you know, getting to that age and not having any family.  Loneliness in old age is worse than any medical ailment.”  She nods a goodbye and sets off down the road.

Loneliness at any age is horrible.

I take a last look at the house and try to shrug off the sad feeling creeping up on me.    

Within a few minutes I’m at the door to the pub and take a deep breath before entering.  I always find meeting new people such a nerve-wracking experience, which is odd considering how many times I’ve moved somewhere new and had to start over.  Focusing on the bar, I walk over and order a glass of rose wine from a round man with a shiny bald head.

"Alice, glad you came.”  Tommy appears by my side and I immediately relax a little, grateful that I know at least one person.  “This is my dad, Trevor.  Dad, this is Alice, Dorothy’s great niece, the one I told you about.”

“Very pleased to meet you, Alice.”  He holds out his hand and we shake.  I notice the discreet wink he gives Tommy and I blush.

“Come, Alice.  Let’s go find a table with some shade in the garden.”

I follow him through the quiet pub, where a couple of elderly men are sat playing a game of dominoes and drinking real ale.  We walk out into the garden to find it heaving with families; small children running round, squealing with joy.  Brightly-coloured parasols provide shade to each table and in the right hand corner is a large smoking barbecue; the smell of hickory wood smoke hangs in the air and my stomach rumbles at the thought of grilled sausages.

“Forgive my dad, Alice.  My folks are currently despairing at my single status. They can’t seem to fathom that I am more than happy as I am.  Mum keeps reminding me that when she was my age, they were married and pregnant with my older sister.  Do your folks give you grief over stuff like this?”

The words spoken so innocently cut deeply.  I'm normally on my guard, ready to protect myself from questions such as these, but today for some reason I feel ill-prepared.  I know my face has turned ashen, I can see that he knows he's said something wrong and that makes me feel even worse.  I quickly reply to save him from having to back-peddle or god forbid apologise.

“I don’t have any family, Tommy.  Dorothy was my last living relative and unfortunately she’s gone too.”

“Oh, I’m sorry…”

“Don’t be.  I’m a big girl now!”

Realising I'm not going to say anymore and trying to make up for his question, he begins telling me about the people around us.  Who is who, who is married to whom and who is having an illicit affair with whom?  The next half an hour is a revelation and I'm glad of the people tour he gives me. 

“There she is Arthur, I knew she’d come.  I do hope Tommy is looking after you Alice?”

I turn and find Betty, the owner of the post office standing next to a tired, worn looking man.  She stands glaring at us, at Tommy.

“Of course, Betty, I’ve been the perfect gentleman.”  Tommy says giving her a wide smile.

“Tommy Benson, you don’t know what the term gentleman means. I’ve heard the stories.”